Decision made (I think )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decision made (I think )

After more than a week of reading professional reviews, getting feedback from end-users both here and on another forum, I think , I've made up my mind about which telephoto lens I want to buy.

I had the desire for a 400mm telephoto zoom, and even considered 500mm.

The main contenders where the:

Canon 100-400 L IS
    Sigma 120-400 OS
    Sigma 150-500 OS
    Sigma 50-500 OS

With image quality and sharpness, across a full-frame sensor (5D Mklll) being particularly important to me , I concentrated my attention on this parameter.

Professional reviews all saw the lack of dust/weather seals on the Canon 100-400 as a major short coming for an L series lens. Also having a very dated 2 stop optical stabilisation, was also seen as a negative. The 'trombone zoom' was seen as both a positive and a negative, in that while it offered a quick method of moving from one focal length to another, it wasn't to everyones taste, and tended to act as a bit of a 'dust pump'. In short, very much a Marmite lens. I should add that the optical quality of the lens was not criticized.

Two of the Sigma lenses, the 120-400 and the 150-500, had quite a following among end users, and I think that price had a significant influence here.

The 50-500 seemed less popular, and again I think that price had a influence.

In professional reviews, all of the Sigma lenses were reported as showing significant degradation in image quality, at maximum reach (400 or 500mm). In this respect, the 50-500 was being the best of three, albeit it is the most expensive.

End users of both the 120-400 and the 150-500 Sigma lenses, seemed quite happy with them, and I have to say that some of the example images posted were good, albeit not all.

One set of images taken with the 120-400 were IMO, lacking the sort of sharpness that I like to see in an image. However, this could be attributed to the photographer or the conditions under which they were taken, so perhaps not a conclusive result.

A professional landscape photographer, tried all of the lenses, including the Canon 100-400L, under 'real world' conditions, and found that there was little to choose between them. Each having its own 'sweet spot' (focal length/aperture).

I should add that overall, the Sigma lenses, although not part of Sigma's EX range, where all reported as being of good build quality, good value for money, and quite capable performers.

So, I next looked at practicality in terms of weight and physical size, bearing in mind that the 5D Mklll body is no lightweight to start with.

The Sigma lenses are all significantly heavier than the Canon 100-400L which weighs in at 1380g and extends out to 189mm.

The Sigma 150-500 weighs 1910g and extends out to 252mm, with the 120-400 not far behind at 1750g and 203mm.

The 50-500 being 1970g and 219mm.

So, seriously big heavy lenses.

Where does this leave me, well firstly the Canon 100-400 is off my 'shopping list, because being an L series lens, and priced as such, the lack of weather sealing for that sort of money is not good. Also, I'm not a lover of 'marmite'.

The Sigma lenses although well priced, and being very popular, leave me with a nagging doubt, that having bought one, I might not be happy with the IQ at 'full stretch'. Plus the fact they are not particularly 'carry about' in terms of size and weight.

As I started out looking for a 400mm lens, I calculated that difference in image size between that taken with a 300mm and a 400mm lens is just 33%.

Given that in the majority of cases where we use a zoom lens at full-stretch, the subject of interest (bird or animal etc) will be in the centre of the frame.

Therefore, with the 22mp full-frame sensor, I can comfortably afford to crop to show the subject at the equivalent of 400mm size, without loss any significant loss of resolution.

Well, that's my logic anyway.

So, now I'm almost certain to go for the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM. Image quality is a known attribute, as is build quality and dust/weather sealing. Its size and weight are within practical carry about limit, and where I need to zoom in closer than 300mm, I will crop accordingly.

The only question that remains is whether I buy within the UK, and pay 'top dollar', or from Hong Kong

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 05-11-2013, 19:39.
    Dave

Re: Decision made (I think )

Choosing a lens always seems to be a long and winding journey.

See what http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Lenses comes up with and then compare with a HK sourced lens.

Comment

Dave thanks for writing up your thoughts and aspects of the options available to you in your search for a lens for the 5D3. It would be good if you could try the lens of your choice before buying one, though I suspect the difficulty with that is finding a retailer in the UK with stock for you to play with. A trip in to London me thinks. As MX% has suggested look at the pricebuster site I think it also shows some far east options. I have used Ian Kerso for Lens so his website may be worth a look at.
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Indeed it is a 'long winded journey', at least if you are like me, and want the best that your budget will allow.

In an earlier 'thread' Steve (S-J-P) made a very valid comment, "buy cheap, buy twice", and there have been times when I have done just that.

Of course there is always the 'middle ground', as opposed to budget, or ridiculously expensive, like some of the Canon big Pro lenses.

I could go to London and look, or even WEX showroom in Norwich, which is very well stocked. However, I think I know what I want now, and would be comfortable with. The Canon 70-300L f/4-5.6 IS USM, does seem to provide that.

I'm not particularly into aircraft or bird photography, so 'reach' isn't the 'be all and end all' for me, and so most of the time I think 300mm will meet my needs. If I do need to get in closer, then the 22mp full-frame sensor should allow for some cropping.

Having the 24-105L has my everyday lens, it does seem a retrograde step to buy a non L series lens to compliment it. Yes, it would be nice to go for to f/2.8 version of the 70-300, but that is way beyond what I want to spend, or being sensible, should spend.

Where to buy?, well from WEX the 70-300L F/4/5.6 IS would cost me £1238, and from Panamoz £845. At £393 difference that is SIGNIFICANT!!.

Even from HDEW in the UK, the saving is £278.

BTW, I do have 'Price Buster' bookmarked.

Dave
        Last edited by Dave_S; 05-11-2013, 16:34.
        Dave

Comment

Looks like you made a good choice. For me my heart is set on the EF 300mm F4L, which gives me a 300mm or 420mm lens. The reviews for it are too good for me to look elsewhere and the fact no one ever seems to sell one second hand tells its own story.

Panamoz looks like it might be worth a punt from what I've read. They can't all be wrong.
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

From the Panamoz website FAQ's:

"Will I have to pay any import charges, such as VAT?

No. All our prices are final. All import charges will be covered by us, and will be billed to our shipping account directly. You will not have to pay extra."

To quote the Bard, "to believe or not to believe, that is the question"

Dave
            Dave

Comment

There's plenty of threads giving independent reviews of them. I'm going to give them a try when I dare trying to get the 300 F4 past the misses.

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                I'm going to give them a try when I dare trying to get the 300 F4 past the misses.
                There speaks a wise man ...
                [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Although if it comes in an overseas parcel marked 'toy parts' to try and fool customs (as some have suggested in the reviews) then just maybe this will work in my favour lol

Comment

I won't say a word Riggers, promise

BTW, so far all of the feedback I've read on other forums has been 100% positive, with some people having used them on more than one occasion.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave,

Thought I'd add a 2 pence worth - I bought a 70-300L, not so long back, and I'm very impressed with it. The IQ is very impressive throughout the range. Given the choice between the 100-400 and the 70-300 - I'd reach for the latter, first. The other thing I like, is it's compact size - it's a good walkabout lens.

Cheers,
                      Neil
                      Neilly's Flickr Page
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                      Facebook
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

Indeed Neil, having considered all the options very carefully, it is the 70-300L that I will be going for.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                          Indeed Neil, having considered all the options very carefully, it is the 70-300L that I will be going for.

Dave
                          ....or wait for the new Tamron 150-500, who knows what this will bring optically to the table....

No, go with the 70-300, it's Canon, it's a proper "L", and you know exactly what you're getting
                          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

[QUOTE=S_J_P;177819go with the 70-300, it's Canon, it's a proper "L", and you know exactly what you're getting [/QUOTE]

Exactly

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

I now have a 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS USM in my hand, and very nice it is too.

Nice smooth but firm zoom, and lightning fast AF.

Just need to get out and use it now.

Dave
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X