Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which multi-purpose lens for the T1i?

Hi All-
    I recently upgraded to the T1i, and I am a beginner when it comes to DSLR cameras. Even though the lens kit that came with the camera (18-55mm) is ok to get started, I have noticed that it does not give me the zoom capabilities that I would prefer in a lens which I will use most of the time on the camera. Therefore, I would like to get another Canon lens that has better zoom capabilities and that I can use for day-to-day photography. And, I am planning on spending anywhere from $300-$600 on a good standard lens, so-to-speak.

At the moment, I do not have any 'specific' type of photography in mind; however, I use the camera for outdoor photography most of the time, and once in a while, indoors. I have also taken a workshop on digital photography to better understand all the different shooting modes the Canon offers; as well as have a few book on digital photography.

I have read quite a few reviews on many standard zoom or prime lenses; but as a beginner, this has become a bit confusing, and at times overwhelming, as there is alot of information to learn about lenses. I do know that eventually (not any time soon), I would like to get a telephoto zoom 70-200 f/4L USM lens.

Thanks much for your suggestions....

Re: Which multi-purpose lens for the T1i?

I would suggest the 55-200mm to compliment your 18-55.

Cheap price - excellent results (for its price)

55 - 200

I have one and get excellent results with it
    Last edited by briansquibb; 09-02-2010, 23:07.
    ef-r

Comment

I would recommend the EF-S 55mm-250mm IS lens if your camera will take it.

The attached review of the 55mm-200mm lens is not very good and ends saying it is not recommended!!!!!!!!!!!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

True - but in my experience his reasoning for not recommending it is subjective(such as not having a manual focus ring) but does not relate to the experience with my lens. On the other hand the optical quality does match - which is a measurable test. I guess that is the difference between the real world and a test. Perhaps I have the II version and the tester had a I??

Perhaps some others with the 55-200 would like to say how they get on with it.

The optical results from the 55-250 seem pretty good tooo.

I can only recommend a lens which I have had considerable experience of.

The 55-200 is an EF lens, the 55-250 is a EF-S lens. The longer lens is also heavier. That said, both are less than half the weight of the 70-200 f4 L

At the end of the day we can only give our experiences and then it will be up to him to choose
        Last edited by briansquibb; 10-02-2010, 06:29.
        ef-r

Comment

The reviewer didn't like plastic did he?

Presumably without an engineering/scientific background, he wasn't aware that the coefficient of expansion of aluminium is higher than space age plastics and that expansion can play havoc with the optics in hot weather/climates. Hence "L" sereies telephoto's being finished in heat reflective white!

Aside from that, he did mention that optically it was a very good performer and this bears out results I have seen with this lens. Isn't that what we wish from a lens, high optical performance? If it performs well optically, surely it doesn't matter whether it is manufactured from pink bubblegum; well, maybe not pink ............................ I don't do pink!

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Once again it would be good to use numbers to indicate optical quality.....but I'm getting very boring now so I'll say nothing!

I've just been out with my cheap Tamron 55-200 with a cheap Jessops 2x converter and took some excellent shots out walking the dog - don't know what the figures are like for that lens but I wouldn't replace it.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Which is exactly the point. The numbers don't stack up on the test charts, but if it does what you want it to do it's a great lens. If you wanted to take pictures of rally cars in the forest at dusk, it's probably not.

By the same token, I've seen reports that show certain lenses as suffering from a lot of vignetting and softness in the corners. Not that it's important if you stick it on a crop sensor. And of course, the perennial debate about 24-105 f4 v 24-70 f2.8. On the tests, the latter is sharper and faster and gererally better, but for everyday use, the former is a much better lens for me. Wouldn't be the case if I took a lot of low light pictures.
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
              X