Pentax K-mount lens on 500D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pentax K-mount lens on 500D

I have a Canon 500D, my first DSLR, but also have several old Pentax lenses from my first SLR. (I believe they are "K-Bayonet" mount) I hate to see old lenses go redundant and would like to use them, if at all possible, on my DSLR.

I expect that automation functions will mostly be lost, but can anyone tell me if there are suitable adapters available to at least make the link between these specific units. If possible, pointing me to a source would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Pentax K-mount lens on 500D

You might try SRB Griturn, http://srb-griturn.co.uk/canon-eos-adaptors-650-c.asp . When I got my first DSLR I tried using my old lenses (with an adapter and on aperture priority setting ) but didn't stick at it for too long as the lack of auto features became a bind ! - Pity as the old lenses were at least as good optically as my new ones.
    It will only cost a few pounds for the adapter you are looking for so worth a try.
    Last edited by hectorpaljr; 15-12-2013, 23:41.

Comment

You could try EBAY and put K-Bayonet to EOS

I've just done it and several have popped up.
      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

E-bay and srb-griturn both have plenty options. I might also try a reversing ring and see if I can get any macro results.
        Would any "EF" mount fit my 500 D?

Comment

Originally posted by philzeno View Post
          Would any "EF" mount fit my 500 D?
          Anything but the EF-M type which are only suitable fior the EOS M compact system camera.

Your 500D is compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S type lenses, even those dating back to the '80s. Where you may have problems is with EF compatible mounts from thrid party makes, Sigma are well known to have issues and many of their older lenses don't function on EOS digital bodies (and some late film ones too). If buying used 3rd party lenses always check the lens on the camera with the aperture stopped down. The issue, with Sigma at least, appears to be connected with the aperure control - I have found that wide open such lenses will work even on a quite recent body but as soon as you stop down even the least bit the camera errors out and locks up (Err99).

HTH
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

The issue, with Sigma at least, appears to be connected with the aperure control - I have found that wide open such lenses will work even on a quite recent body but as soon as you stop down even the least bit the camera errors out and locks up (Err99).

HTH[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Fortunately I've had no problems with the Sigma EX 10-20mm F4-5.6 which I bought second hand recently, although I guess the limited aperture range helps avoid the problem you mentioned I'm loving it.

Comment

Working...
            X