40mm f/2.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40mm f/2.8

All you chaps out there who own/use Canon's "pancake" 40mm; do you use the lens hood dedicated for it? I've seen a picture of it and it hardly seems worth it as it is so small. I was thinking maybe of getting one of those collapsible rubber or silicone ones which, to me appear to be a better idea.

Re: 40mm f/2.8

I have got that lens and also the small lenshood that go with it. It is permanently on my lens. The only trouble is that I don't use the lens much as the 50mm covers my needs for a prime lens. Canon must have had some purpose in mind when they designed such a small lenshood for the Pancake lens.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Never used mine with a hood...

Comment

Havent got a hood for mine

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Like many I don't use a hood with mine either.
          Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

I have ordered the hood for mine as I received a number of Amazon vouchers for Christmas, so have treated the purchase as a Chrissy Pressie.
            David

Comment

It's a lens that I "quite fancy", but don't need.

It's good quality, interesting flat design and relatively inexpensive, but I feel I would be finding uses for it, rather than a 'go to' lens for specific uses. On that basis, I have resisted the temptation, but if I did get one, I would also get the dedicated hood to provide some protection from flare and to protect the end of the lens from the occasional, inevitable knock. I wouldn't get an after market collapsible one, as they are not designed by Canon to minimise flare and, in my opinion, they look a bit naff.
              Colin

Comment

I would appreciate some tips on areas where this lens would be useful. Having said that I have used this lens on my trip to Sri Lanka last year just to give it a" go" ,although I took my "then" plasticy" nifty fifty" f1.8. The resulting images were very stunning and very sharp and detailed. However, with only 10mm difference in focal length between the 40 & 50mm lenses I am always struggling to find uses for the Pancake lens. It is of course a well made lens.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I also do not use a hood with mine either.

Tom

Comment

During a course I just completed at Henley College one of the assignments was street photography. I started out with my 24-105 but felt it was a "bit obvious" and even though I was shooting from about waist height I was conscious of it's size, changed to my nifty fifty but still felt a bit conscious and thought that people were "avoiding" me which was not the purpose of the exercise.
                    Hence the 40 mm which when fitted to my 7D is barely noticeable and straight away I have felt more confident for "candid" shots as it is not so obvious.
                    My sister-in-law intensely hates having photos taken and as soon as she spots a camera pointing her way then the two fingers are raised, you know the type. Over Christmas I got some great candids of her as she was oblivious to the camera and lens.

I feel that this is a great lens for candid street photography which is something I am considering turning into a project for 2014.

Like Colin C I also have CRB "clearance" which I now take with me when "out and about" so hopefully no "irate" parents if I do happen to accidentally include a young person in one of my shots.
                    David

Comment

I find the main use for my 40/2.8 (and the reason I bought it) is to have a "normal" length lens with me when I'm carrying a fair weight of non-normal glass (long, wide, whatever) and don't want to add a 24-105 as it's just too much weight on the off-chance of needing it. Although I also use my RX100 for the same role, as it zooms (but captures less light), does 1080p50 video and is a similar weight.

Comment

Thanks David. I haven't thought of that. Presently I use my compact G15 for candids.

I also have got CRB clearance but I don't carry it with me. Should I take it with me all the time?
                        Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-01-2014, 15:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                          ..... I also have got CRB clearance but I don't carry it with me. Should I take it with me all the time?
                          I have it with me if I am taking any shots where young people may be "just in case".
                          Now whether or not it will do any good and protect me from an umbrella wielding mother is another matter, but if the police happen to be called at least I have something to show them.

What a sad society we now exist in... the thing is that we currently are able to see old B&W images of life in the 20's which include children playing in the streets and parks.... there will be a huge void in history when people in 50-60 years time look at images of today and will see very few children doing what children do best.... playing and having fun.
                          David

Comment

The only reason I am buying this (40mm) lens is to go on a future purchase of a 100D which I am buying because I'm fed up missing some shots taken with my Canon P&S, waiting for the shutter to fire, and I'm talking often a second or more!
                            I think the collapsible lens hood would be of use even when in its collapsed mode as it provides a sort of shock-absorber should one bash the lens on something accidentally. EOS 100D + 40mm f/2.8 = small and light!

Comment

Collywobbles, I don't wish to distract but don't you think that buying a 40mm lens to fit on a 100D for candids etc is perhaps not maximising the use of the excellent 100D. I personally find that my G15 is very fast with it's f1.8 aperature at it's widest & had produced excellent results. The G16 could be even better I think and either of these compacts are cheaper than the 100D + 40mm. Just my thoughts.

David, I understand exactly what you mean and perhaps as one of the older members of this forum,having lived in this country studying in the 1950's and then returning and working from the late 1960's I have seen how things have changed over the years. I don't wish to say anymore. It is very SAD.
                              Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-01-2014, 17:38.

Comment

Working...
                              X