The year of the lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The year of the lens

The pundits are claiming that 2014 will be Canon's year of the lens. If there is a flurry of new announcements what do you think they will be? What would you like them to be?

And what will happen to the price of old favourites like the 400mm f5.6 L first released over 20 years ago. If the price of that halved I'd be seriously interested.

So what to do, buy now or wait?
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Re: The year of the lens

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
    If the price of that halved .......So what to do?
    Keep dreaming!!

David

Comment

I think with Sigma and Tamron throwing out some great glass and giving the old 'red ring' a showing up. Canon really need to start pulling their weight and stop resting on older technology. Don't get me wrong, I for one won't be switching to the new 400 5.6L IS when it comes out but if they came out with a newer 24-105 then I might listen. lol
      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Keep dreaming!!
        Interestingly the price of the 400mm f5.6l is already down to £850 in a number of grey importers, while dealers have it at over £1100.

What I was really getting at is that under normal economic rules the price of the "obsolete" model normally drops massively, but the quality remains the same as it always was. So its a good time to look for a bargain.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX

Comment

Aye and for those (like me) that bought one for £915 3 weeks ago it leaves a bitter taste lol
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

I gather it was the earthquake (or some other natural event) that slowed down Canon's R&D and production. But with the recent devaluation of the Yen ... I gather it's now more cost effective (and honorable) to do everything in Japan.

It's Sigma I'd watch ... they have their sights set on some amazing quality optics (to compete with Zeiss) ... and I'm wondering if they'll produce cinematography lenses to compete with Cooke Optics.

Hopefully we'll all benefit from all this R&D.

Comment

I have been toying between the Sigma 24-105 ART and the Canon one. The Sigma is more expensive and has more Chromatic Aberration than the Canon. A bit sharper in the centre but as always with 3rd party lenses, falls off at the corners until stopped down. All consistent with reviews, however, one has to wonder why anyone would buy the Sigma if it's £50-100 more expensive? You then have to factor in their special docking system for calibration at £60, and that you loose lens correction ability in DPP.

I think it's ignorant of 3rd party manufacturers to assume that everyone is using Lightroom these days. At least make the lens far better than the Canon to tease folk like me away lol
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

and for those (like me) that bought one for £915 3 weeks ago it leaves a bitter taste
                I guess that's the price we have to pay Paul for continual development & tactical marketing. Did you ever buy a computer .... ?
                Russell

Comment

Yeah I got a 27" Imac lol It's great :)
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

I bought a Sigma 400mm many years ago. I had it mounted on a tripod with Canon EOS 1n on it but the weight of the camera stripped the thread of the holes for screws holding the lens mount on the lens and whole lot fell on the ground. No damage to the camera but I’m sticking to Canon even if Sigma have improved their quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                      I have been toying between the Sigma 24-105 ART and the Canon one. The Sigma is more expensive and has more Chromatic Aberration than the Canon. A bit sharper in the centre but as always with 3rd party lenses, falls off at the corners until stopped down. All consistent with reviews, however, one has to wonder why anyone would buy the Sigma if it's £50-100 more expensive? You then have to factor in their special docking system for calibration at £60, and that you loose lens correction ability in DPP.

I think it's ignorant of 3rd party manufacturers to assume that everyone is using Lightroom these days. At least make the lens far better than the Canon to tease folk like me away lol
                      There's a comparison test of those two lenses in the latest "Practical Photography" mag. Hardly any difference at all they say but, as you say, costs a bit more. But, more importantly, it is very slightly bigger with a larger filter thread and 200 odd grammes heavier!

Comment

I hope they are going to introduce some great "L" EFS lenses, for a a good price
                        With kind regards,
                        Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Paul, I am just an ordinary hobby photographer, enjoying my photography as I walk down the sunset trail. I cannot say more than to praise the Canon 24-105mmL for it's build, image quality and convenience as a walk about lens. It is my one lens I will try to save if all my other lenses and kit was being washed away by the "floods"!
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

As Paul mentioned in one of the posts in this thread the Canon competitors are raising the bar this year. How about this Tamron for those interested in Bird Photography, "Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD"

Reviewed HERE and at a good price too HERE

BTW I have no association with either of the people/company in the above links
                            Peter

Feel free to browse my
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

A 24-105 2.8 IS would be nice but I'm not expecting that anytime soon so my next lens will probably be the 24-70.
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Working...
                              X