Different Lens Makes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Lens Makes

Can someone tell me if any of the 'other' makes of lens are as good as or better than the Canon 'L' lenses and which ones are most likely to fit the EOS range of Digital Cameras?

I'm referring to the likes of Tamron, Sigma and Tokina but not sure of any others.

John

Re: Different Lens Makes

Hmmm.. tough one.

The only lens I've used which I found slightly sharper than Canon was the Sigma 10-20 v Canon 10-22.

Comment

Thanks John; Any one else got any input?

Comment

Since I don't own the canon lens but the Tamron 28-75 gives the Canon 24-70 a run at being as sharp.

Comment

My Tamron 90mm lens is sharper that my Canon 24-105 f4 L. But this is a poor comparison I know as one is a prime and the other a zoom. What I will say is that I no longer own the 24-105 f4L as it was the worst lens I have ever owned, and that is after it had been back to Canon becouse I complained about the image quality. I own other Canon L's and ore really happy with the IQ, but just nether felt happy with the above lens.

Dave
          Always trying hard.

Comment

I am interested in looking at the Tamron 28-75 for IQ, becouse I am now saving for the Canon 24-70. Getting back to the original post, I now just do comparisons on lenses and then decide what I like. I no longer get sucked into the must have L thing.

Dave
            Always trying hard.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMaij View Post
              Hmmm.. tough one.

The only lens I've used which I found slightly sharper than Canon was the Sigma 10-20 v Canon 10-22.
              This is a good example, I loved my Canon 10-22. It knocked spots of any other lens I tried in that range. But as John has said above he found the opposite.

Actually I sold my lens when I went full frame, but I regret it now as I may be getting another crop sensor in the future.

Dave
              Always trying hard.

Comment

In terms of the OP - i.e. comparison with L lenses - in my experience - No.

Comparisons between zooms and primes is not really a sensible comparison.

Martin

Comment

The Tamron sp90 will out do the Canon 100 in IQ and the Sigma 150 and 180 will give the same/better IQ than the Canon 180 at a fraction of the price but apart from that i would stick with L lenses, Its true that the 24-105 isnt the best not the 100-400 but they have little competition at the cost

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                    In terms of the OP - i.e. comparison with L lenses - in my experience - No.

Comparisons between zooms and primes is not really a sensible comparison.

Martin
                    This was stated!
                    Always trying hard.

Comment

Hi John,
                      What camera do you have?
                      Some lenses are designed specifically for cropped sensors; these lenses cannot be used on 1 series cameras or the 5D 1&2

IMO The most important factor is what you will use the lens to photograph, and what conditions you will photograph in.

To give an extreme example, the Canon 500 F4L IS USM would be absolutely useless compared to a relatively cheap 3rd party , F2.8 fixed aperture wide zoom for photographing groups of people in cramped lower light conditions.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by tmphotos View Post
                        Hi John,
                        What camera do you have?
                        I'm afraid I still have the lowly 10D but after the lottery win (ha ha) I'll definitely be looking to up up up up grade.
                        John

Comment

I find the biggest problem with any lens comparisons is that the same lens model can be great on one system and average on another.

This can be simply due to AF tolerances and limitations given to the different camera ranges to whether the body and lenses have been calibrated.

Comment

and also quality control by the manufacturers.

Sigma seemed to get a reputation for this a while ago with some models IIRC. Certainly, the 12 - 24 I borrowed was truly awful, but there are lots of people happy with their copy

Martin

Comment

No real comparison with L lenses (except Leica or Nikon maybe...!) but Sigma compete well with the non-L's and also fill gaps where Canon don't provide a lens. Eg. 12-24 full frame, 8mm fish eye.
                              A few of the top end zooms and primes from Sigma approach L glass but not many. However, I agree with the comments on the 10-20mm Sigma. The Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC is also excellent optically and probably matches or exceeds an Canon equivalent (remember, Canon don't do L series EF-S lenses). Sigma have some other advantages. For example, the 75-300 EX DG APO (f4 to f5.6) is less than £200 (I think I paid £160 for it before recent price rises) and optically is fine (as good as Canon prosumer zooms) and though it doesn't have IS, it is very compact and light, making it excellent for travel. One criticism I have of Canon lenses is that they are often bulky. And the L series lens hoods are massive, taking up a lot of space in the camera bag (I am thinking of my 70-200L and 135L where the lens hoods are almost as big as the lenses!). I have ca. 26 EF mount lenses, about 20 Canon and 6 Sigma, so I guess that speaks for itself. Gary
                              www.garywhite-photography.com
                              Gary White, MPhil
                              Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                              X