EF 50mm f1.8 focus problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 50mm f1.8 focus problems

My "nifty" 50mm 1.8 seems to have given up; I can't achieve focus using 40D and, 7D for comparison. Using live view and magnification I can achieve visual focus but 'print" is out of focus. The camera bodies are both ok with other lenses.

I have subsequently checked it with Reikan Focal and that software seems to confirm the problem - it can't focus satisfactorily.

My question. In view of the cheap cost of this plastic mount lens should I just "bin" it or, is there a cheap soluton?

Thanks.

Mike
    Mike in South Australia
    Cameras
    EOS 5Dlll and EOS 5DII
    Lens Tamron 24-70mm f2.8, and 70-200mm f2.8, Canon EF 17-40mm L f4, Canon EF 200mm L f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.8, TCs x1.4 II and x2 II, 12mm extender.
    Equipment Manfrotto Tripod with Really Right Stuff ball head, Speedlite 430EX and Yongnuo YN568EX, plus other bits and pieces.

Re: EF 50mm f1.8 focus problems

It hasn't been switched to manual focus accidentally has it? Can you focus manually? Does the in focus light come in the viewfinder?

Comment

Ems, thanks for getting back to me.

Problem occurs intermittently in either AF or MF! In AF green light doesn't always come on but shot is possible. Manual focus using Live View and 10X looks good at f8 but doesn't convert what it sees! As I said the camera bodies are ok with other lens which makes me think there is a terminal problem with the lens?

Mike
      Mike in South Australia
      Cameras
      EOS 5Dlll and EOS 5DII
      Lens Tamron 24-70mm f2.8, and 70-200mm f2.8, Canon EF 17-40mm L f4, Canon EF 200mm L f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.8, TCs x1.4 II and x2 II, 12mm extender.
      Equipment Manfrotto Tripod with Really Right Stuff ball head, Speedlite 430EX and Yongnuo YN568EX, plus other bits and pieces.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Mike. The only other thing I can think of is possibly dirty contacts on the lens.

Emyr

Comment

Thanks Emyr.

I think I have fixed it! It was whilst checking the lens over for the "nth" time, cleaning contacts etc, that I "played" with the focussing ring in MF. At the near point focus there was a click (audible and physical) and hey presto - a quick test with the 40D and focus is now A1 again!!

I will now handle it with care!

Thank you both for responding etc.

regards,

Mike
          Mike in South Australia
          Cameras
          EOS 5Dlll and EOS 5DII

Comment

Happens to mine all the time. Once it wouldn't focus and I thought it was in MF. I turned the ring and RAAAAKKEE it was still in AF. It just failed to grab good focus after that. I then put it in MF turned it all the way to closest focus and then all the way to longest focus and put it in AF again, mounted it and it was fixed. I think I knocked it off it's AF ratchet mechanism or something.

Gave up using after that and collects dust in the bag. Can't be trusted.
            Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
            www.campsie.photography

Comment

I have owned this lens without any trouble despite taking it with me on holiday to Canada and Sri Lanka. Having said that, if this lens is giving trouble, I'd rather dump it and get another new one- it costs so little to replace it. It is a shame that Canon cannot make a better f1.8 lens when the 40mm lens is so well made. Later on I sold this lens,in mint condition, and bought an f1.4 50mm
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 19-03-2014, 14:17.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

My first copy literally fell apart on me in 1997 - I was on holiday in New England, and a rattlesnake crossed the path - was trying to take a pic when the front of the lens fell off. I put it back, and the lens works fine in MF, but hasn't AFd since. I did buy a replacement, but sold that some years back when I went for the f1.4.

Still got the original...
                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Is this the Mark 1 version, or the plastic Mark 2 version? The Mark2 is a lot cheaper, in every way! A used Mark 1 can fetch more than a new Mark 2, which seems to say a lot about the two versions.

Comment

I still use the 50mm Mk. 1 which I bought in 1989. It comes in handy when the light is fading.

Comment

Do as Nat has done, get the F/1.4 version. It's better in every respect.

Comment

I must mention that I bought the f1.4 on the advice of the members, not because the f1.8 was not satisfactory but because I wanted a lens to help me take photos without flash inside buildings esp churches. The f1.4 does exactly that.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

It is a mark II!! and it certainly feels cheap!!
                          Mike in South Australia
                          Cameras
                          EOS 5Dlll and EOS 5DII

Comment

Originally posted by Mike from South Oz View Post
                            It is a mark II!! and it certainly feels cheap!!
                            You're not wrong there. The Mark 1 is a much better lens all round, but the stopped making them. If you can find a good second hand one they are worth having, but be prepared to pay over £100 in the UK!

Comment

Working...
                            X