Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 1.4x Extender III with 100-400 L IS Lens

Hi all

I have just purchased an 100 - 400 L IS lens and am considering buying a Canon extender, but people tell me it will not autofocus with my Canon 5D Mk2 has anybody used this combination.

Thanks

Phil

Re: Canon 1.4x Extender III with 100-400 L IS Lens

Originally posted by Warrenden View Post
    Hi all

I have just purchased an 100 - 400 L IS lens and am considering buying a Canon extender, but people tell me it will not autofocus with my Canon 5D Mk2 has anybody used this combination.

Thanks

Phil
    that is correct, I belive it wont autofocus at the longer on the 5d2

Comment

The 5DmkII will only focus down to f5.6, the extender adds a stop of light loss so anything over f4 won't auto-focus. However it might focus in live-view, but that's so slow I suspect it would be impractical.

Comment

As auto-focus is relatively new in photographic terms, we always used to focus manually. Not a major problem focussing manually.
        Colin

Comment

I have just purchased an 100 - 400 L IS lens and am considering buying a Canon extender, but people tell me it will not autofocus with my Canon 5D Mk2 has anybody used this combination
          there is the trick of taping the pins to fool the camera into autofocus but again it is so slow and, when i had a 100-400, I tried it out and the quality was rubbish as well

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
            As auto-focus is relatively new in photographic terms, we always used to focus manually. Not a major problem focussing manually.
            The manual focus cameras I started with had a micro-prism in the viefinder to make focussing easier, most d-slrs don't have these.
            John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by jk224 View Post
              The manual focus cameras I started with had a micro-prism in the viefinder to make focussing easier, most d-slrs don't have these.
              Agreed, but for wildlife and motorsport, we used to change the micro prism screen for a matte one, as it made life a lot easier. If you concentrated on the micro prism, you tended to lose shots, but with the matte screen, you could concentrate on the action and with a little experience, still focus.
              Colin

Comment

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice and I will stick with manual focusing, but do I go for a 1.4x or a 2x for 100-400.

Many thanks

Phil

Comment

The 1.4x.
                  Colin

Comment

Just looking at the impact on aperture I'd think 1.4x.
                    Indeed it's a question I've asked myself as considering one.
                    Andy

Comment

Definitely 1.4 on that lens. I have the 300 F4 and I'm going to try a 2x which will give me 600mm at F8, similar to yours which will be 560mm at F8 if you use the 1.4.
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Working...
                      X