Worrying spots on lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worrying spots on lenses

I was checking my lenses before an important shoot and was surprised to notice that if I looked through the lens from the mount end that there were a considerable number of spots and marks, apparently on the front element. I always keep filters on lenses for protection, and some of the marks are still apparent with the filter removed.

The lenses concerned are the 100 f2.8 macro and the 70-300 IS zoom. I'm not sure if any of the 'marks' are bubbles inside the lens. Has anyone come across this, and should I be worried?

Re: Worrying spots on lenses

I had a similar problem with my old EF 24mm-55mm lens; I also keep a UV/Sky light filter on the front element of my lenses. The spots did not affect the photos but it was a worrying nuisance. However, I managed to part ex this lens for my EF-S 18mm-55mm IS lens, as the photo were were not affected by the spots. Anyway, I would like to know what did cause these spots.

I keep all my photographic gear in one of my wardrobes and they are aways clean and dry.

P.S I am wondering whether the spots on my lens was already there when I bought it, second hand ,courtesy of Ebay and it is quite possible I did not notice this when I bought it.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 18-03-2010, 20:24.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

If the spots are inside the lens, the probability is that it is mould - probably caused by damp or humidity... I encountered this when I was living/working in a very humid locale...

You will need to try thoroughly drying the lens out - say in an airing cupboard - but once it's set-in, it's pretty damned hard to get rid of...

If there's not too much, in general use, it probably won't be noticeable... Only way to find out is to take some test shots... The more you stop-down, the more it will show up - if at all...

Good luck...
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

It could be mould but I'd be surprised with a new lens. There are small manufacturing defects on many lenses (even on L series lenses, sometimes) and Canon are better than most and I guess if Canon think they are 'within tolerance' then it's OK to sell. There are so many variables, I dont think you notice its effect on images unless it was really bad (like mould on an old lens).
        www.garywhite-photography.com
        Gary White, MPhil
        Travel Photographer

Comment

Buy some silica gel pouches from Ebay ......... very cheap ....... and stick them in your camera bag, lens bags, cupds etc ...........anywhere you store you lenses, camera etc ....... they will keep your kit mould free.
          Cheers Mark

www.ms-photo.co.uk

Comment

Can these mould/fungi be cleaned by one of the Canon appointed service firms- like Lehemanns in Stoke on Trent for example, and any idea of the cost?
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
            X