Neutral density filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutral density filter

After reading JayJay's post about the waterfall I'd very much like to try capturing a milky water image too, the advice I need is the ND filter type I should buy, I've just been on amazon looking at some filters but true to form there's so many types to chose from, so should I go for a holder and a range of filters or should I buy a circular filter and finally should I buy one for the lens that came with my 400D or my 100-400mm lens, thanks in advance.

Sean.

Re: Neutral density filter

Blast, sorry I've just realised I've posted this in the wrong section.

Sean.

Comment

As you've discovered Neutral Density filters come in a huge variety of guises and qualities, each with its own pros and cons.

The square-filter/holder is flexible in that it'll fit a variety of lenses but I've suffered flare where light has entered the sides of the filter. They also tend to be expensive as there is a lot of filter material present.

Screw-in filters are specific to a lens filter thread size but fit tightly and so don't suffer from light ingress. They can be the cheapest option, especially if you go for one of the orientalise imports. If you purchase one for the largest filter thread you have (77mm for instance) then you can use adapter rings (available for a couple of £'s) to reduce them down to a smaller size so that one filter covers a range of lenses.

With either type you need to think about whether the addition of a large filter holder or a filter ring (or stack of reducers/filters) will cause vignetting, this will potentially be an issue with shorter focal length lenses (wide angle ones) so try to get a filter which fits your wider lenses snugly (without the need for a reducer) in preference.

Another point to look out for is flare caused by reflections on the dark filter, your lens hood can help here but since the cheaper filters aren't so well multi-coated as the expensive ones, and since you'll be taking long exposures, and tiny flare/reflection can become problematic so good technique keeping bright light sources away from the filter surface is the best way to combat this aspect.

Lastly think about the filters colour cast. Cheap filters (and some expensive ones!) can impart a colour cast to the images. If you're shooting for B&W then that's not really a problem, but even with colour if you shoot raw then a quick tweak of the colour balance and/or tiny should see the correct colour balance restored. You can even use a welding glass as a try-out ND filter, but these tend to be very green and only really suitable for B&W use.

Oh, and you also need to think about the density of the filter in terms of how much light it saps from the image. There are three naming conventions used, such as ND3, ND 1024, or 10 stop ND which are all the same! If you're after milky-water though then a 10 stop filter is a good starting point rather than the lessor filters.

As for which to buy, to start out I'd go with a cheap screw-in filter for your kit-lens (probably 58mm) as you're more likely to use it with wide-angle shots, and see how you get on. Kood (Hoya) tend to make good budget filters, and I've had success with Haida filters (from Premier Ink & Photo).

Hope tahrs been of some help :)
      Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by SheffSean View Post
        finally should I buy one for the lens that came with my 400D or my 100-400mm lens, thanks in advance.
        The 100-400mm takes 77mm screw in filters.
        The ND filters come in different grades of darkness, 2 stop, 4 stop, 10 stop etc..
        For each stop of light blocked by the filter then you increase the stops on the camera.

There is a big difference between circular polarising filters (C-PL) and ND filters (ND).

hope it helps
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

After reading all those recommendations and advice I'm suddenly and acutely aware of how much I don't know about photography, I'll wait until I get my 70D and get some reading in before I order anything else, thanks for your help gents

Sean.

Comment

This guide might help.
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

Nice one mate, certainly plenty to read there, added to my iPad home screen, cheers.

Sean.

Comment

I honestly wouldn't bother with ND filters to get your 'milky' water shots, I'd use light, and shoot when the light is low.
                Overcast days, and around dusk are good, and there are plenty of 'sheltered' water venues where as long as the sun isn't shining directly on the water, you will get a slow enough shutter speed without filters.
                For example, this was taken at 0.8 second, late afternoon , October, without filters.

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

IMHO the Lee Big Stopper is the bets, but the price means you have to plan to use it a bit. (I think I don't use mine enough, but I had a moment of weakness...)

Comment

Originally posted by Les McLean View Post
                    I honestly wouldn't bother with ND filters to get your 'milky' water shots, I'd use light, and shoot when the light is low.
                    Overcast days, and around dusk are good, and there are plenty of 'sheltered' water venues where as long as the sun isn't shining directly on the water, you will get a slow enough shutter speed without filters.
                    For example, this was taken at 0.8 second, late afternoon , October, without filters.

What a beautiful picture that is Les, I hope I can a picture like that mate, lovely.

Sean.

Comment

Working...
                    X