Cropping-in vs. Longer Lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cropping-in vs. Longer Lens?

I'd like your participation in a little fun test please!

After a day of fettling, testing, and generally musing on photographic issues, I have just gone outside and shot two images of a cooperative Starling on a chimney stack. One is shot with a Sigma 150-500 at 500mm, the other is shot with a 70-200mm at 200mm and then cropped-in to give approximately the same field of view. I've then processed them both almost exactly the same in Lightroom, and then output them as attached (without the EXIF!).

Now, my question to you is : At typical screen-resolution is there an obvious difference between the two, and if so, which is "better"?
    No.1:-

No.2:-

EOS 6D AV mode, ISO400, f/8, 1/1,000 & 1/750
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Re: Cropping-in vs. Longer Lens?

OK I'll jump in feet first no doubt.

Veiwing on iPad 10 inch model. The detail on the chimney looks identical, possibly slightly more detail on the bird in the second shot but that may just be because it is showing more detail by pointing in a different direction (so maybe not a Co-op but common Tesco Starling ).

Scott
    Scott

500px flickr

Comment

I don't think there is a whole lot in it but I'd give the nod to number 2 too. Although saying that I think 1 has marginally better contrast. Very close though.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Nope, can't see any difference.
        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

The detail over all looks very similar but the bird is in a clearer position in the second so perhaps makes it look a better shot that it is at first glance. Looking again, I can't really see much difference between the two which is interesting in it's on right.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Can't see any obvious difference No2 is my choice but nothing in it

Alan

Comment

Ok, in looking at the 2 images, the 2nd image the sky is a brighter/lighter blue. That being the case, the little grass on the left side of the image on top of the chimney, you see more of it in the 2nd image than the 1st. Also the bird has more detail in the 2nd image than the 1st. Base on that, I would vote for the 2nd image.

Tom

Comment

I go for number 2, but only because it is a more pleasing image.
                Colin

Comment

Have to agree with the above ..its no 2 for me too.
                  [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

My nod too is for #2 mainly because of better feather details and colour. #1 is almost black if you notice. Having said that I would keep cropping to a minimum & Iam looking at a crop camera body as well- useful for certain types of pics such as small birds, BIF etc.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

#2 here too
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

#2. The sky is a "truer" blue to my old eyes
                        David

Comment

Definitely no 1 for me...

The moss and lichen on the brickwork is sharper top to bottom.
                          Detail in the rust on the old TV Aerial hardware is clearer.
                          The sky is a slightly darker shade of blue.
                          On the top course of brickwork, the moss hair like spores are more definable against the blue sky.

Doug.
                          Cameras... 7D, 350D
                          Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
                          Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

That's an interesting result!

The preferred second image is the Sigma 150-500's image, BUT I think the majority of people chose it because the Starling looks "nicer", and as Scott said, the chimney detail is almost identical in both images on-screen.

When viewed in Lightroom without Flickr's or the forums processing taking place, there is a difference in sharpness with the Sigma being softer on the lower three courses of bricks, but the bird is similarly detailed and sharp in both shots.

It surprises me that even a relatively extreme crop can yield results which are all but indiscernible on-screen

Not particularly scientific, but interesting nonetheless!

Thanks for participating!!
                            Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Hmm

VERY marginal Steve, if there's any difference at all that is.

If I had to choose, I would say that there is finer detail showing in No.2, but that's not conclusive, as the bird is at a different angle.

Dave
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X