• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 18-250

Anyone used one of these and what do you think
    I would be using it with a 40D

Re: Sigma 18-250

I used one for a year or so on a 450D and then on a 60D, and have to say it was my worst-buy ever!

Superzooms are a means to an end but they're far from ideal. The compromises they impart can be too much to stomach and in all likelihood you'll be upgrading to something of higher quality and higher cost before long and resale values are downright pathetic. But they are cheap, portable, flexible, and are just so convenient when travelling.

On the 40D with it's relatively modest 10MP many of the superzooms shortcomings may be diminished to the point where it's actually quite a reasonable buy, and if the convenience factor is important (and could be the difference between taking a photo or not) then I would seriously consider one. Don't necessarily limit yourself to the Sigma though, Tamron's 18-270 is also worth a look. From memory one is best at the wide end and the other at the tele end, but I don't recall which way around it was.

An optically superior solution may be to supplement your kit lens (if you already have one) with Canon's EF 55-250 Mk II which is stunningly good value at the moment (£159 from Bristol Cameras), this would be less convenient & you'll be switching lenses more, but optically (and possibly financially) it would make more sense.
    Last edited by S_J_P; 31-03-2014, 12:51.
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Working...
    X