100-400mm image wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100-400mm image wobble

Recently purchased a used 100-400mm lens and noticed an image wobble, which sometimes occurs in the 100mm zoom position with the stabiliser on. This persists until the shutter button is released and the stabiliser runs down.

The extent of the wobble is noticeably greater than the hand held image without stabilisation. I initially thought my arm was shaking due to the weight of the lens but realised this was not the case when the IS turned off.

Any experience or ideas would appreciated.

Andy C

Re: 100-400mm image wobble

It is probably the stabiliser working. It appears to give a slight time lag effect when looking through the viewfinder. Are the images OK when you view them on the PC
    My Website

Comment

I've not really looked looked at the recorded images. It only happens intermittently, most times the IS locks in to give a noticeably steady image.

The wobbly image is totally at odds with normal behaviour and may suggest the first stages of a potential fault. I am at the point of returning the lens to the seller!

Comment

Now you probably don't want to run to the bank with the following --- but if my memory is still working I can or think I can remember back 8 or 9 yrs ago when I purchased my 100-400 Canon mentioning in the how to booklet not to be alarmed if the lens produced a wobble image in the view finder --- I must also mention that I have never experienced that occurrence

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

The lens has behaved very well today, lets hope the threat of dismissal and being pressed into action have done the trick.

Comment

Get the images onto your PC and check them out at 100% to make sure they are as sharp as they should be.
            My Website

Comment

Hi Andy;

Take note of the 'type' of image you are focussing on...

FWIW - I have occassionally experienced this type of behaviour with my 24-105 (but strangely only at ISO100) where the IS and focal point 'seem' to be in competition with each other to lock-on to a fixed point...

In all cases so far, it's been where there has been a great deal of 'detail' - normally by way of either horizontal or vertical lines... Almost as if the two functions (focal point & IS) can't agree where the object point is, causing the IS to 'judder'!
              I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
              Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks Bobby, images look stunning.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                X