Question about IS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about IS

Probably the wrong place, but there does not seem to be a thread for general questions.

When using a gimbal would you turn off the IS on the lens altogether or just turn off the vertical function??
    Ray

Re: Question about IS

Early IS lenses you should turn it off. Latest ones are said to be ok, but as you have a stable platform anyway, what's the point in keeping it on?

My regime is as follows:
    • General purpose hand held - position 1 - both gyro's engaged.
    • Hand help panning - position 2 - one gyro engaged.
    • Stabilised on tripod, monopod, or beanbag - IS switched off - no gyro's engaged.

Before putting the lens away after a shoot, I always switch IS on - position one. That way I automatically know it's on when I next shoot and can make an appropriate decision on what mode it needs to be in.

Hope that helps.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks for reply.
      I was wondering if using the gimbal which is basically just holding the camera/lens if it would still be necessary to use the function 2 when panning say F1 cars, aeroplanes at shows. Or just turn it off completely.
      I realise that if on a fixed tripod then there is no requirement for IS but when on a gimbal the camera is actually moving even if it is more of a smooth action.
      Also when hand held it would certainly be an advantage with both functions on.

So are you saying if on a gimbal then turn it off?

Ray
      Last edited by Doglet; 30-03-2010, 16:16. Reason: added a bit more
      Ray

Comment

Yes. Any shaking is dampened by the gimbal.

IS is designed to minimise camera shake, which are minute shaking movements within the body. You could try with and without and analyse he results.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Working...
        X