Wide Angle converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide Angle converter

I saw in EOS Shop magazine which was delivered with my recent EOS quarterly, an advert for the Digital King converter.
    As I have one of these converters I went out with it to photograph our Cheshire West and Chester satellite offices in Winsford.I would like the forum members opinon on the IQ of the photos.

Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Wide Angle converter

Hi Nathaniel, I also saw those in the magazine, and I'm considering buying one - it states that it'll fit 58mm EF lenses; do you know if that applies to EFS too?
    =========================================
    Scotty - Noob with a 550D, Russell Hobbs 14943, 18-55 IS Kit Lens,
    70-300mm Tamron, Wahl 5560-917, nifty fifty and a Philips QC5015

Flickr Account

Comment

Originally posted by TheGFB View Post
      Hi Nathaniel, I also saw those in the magazine, and I'm considering buying one - it states that it'll fit 58mm EF lenses; do you know if that applies to EFS too?
      As the advert says it "screws to the front of the EF18-55mm F3.5-f5.6 lens". Yes the filter thread is 58mm and it screws on the front of the 18mm-55mm lens. The only thing I found was that if I turned the main lens to 18mm, you get a fish eye effect with the circular cut offs. So I turned the main lens to 24mm (on my 450d) and the result is as the above photos. It was of course a very dull day and I went out around 4.30pm.

Yes, it applies to the EF-S lenses as well.The photos were taken with that lens.

Having said that the convertor is only a handy lens and will not be superior to a prime lens like the 20mm f2.8 lens. Since my church buildings photos shown elsewhere I have bought a 20mm 2.8 lens. But for going on holiday etc and to carry less weight the wide angle convertor looks to be OK- for the odd occasion you want a wider coverage than what the 18mm-55mm lens can give.
      Last edited by Nathaniel; 12-04-2010, 20:17.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

As far as I can tell from the web sized shot, there doesn't appear to be any loss in quality between shots 1 and 2. On that basis, it seems a useful addition to your camera bag.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
          As the advert says it "screws to the front of the EF18-55mm F3.5-f5.6 lens". Yes the filter thread is 58mm and it screws on the front of the 18mm-55mm lens. The only thing I found was that if I turned the main lens to 18mm, you get a fish eye effect with the circular cut offs. So I turned the main lens to 24mm (on my 450d) and the result is as the above photos. It was of course a very dull day and I went out around 4.30pm.

Yes, it applies to the EF-S lenses as well.The photos were taken with that lens.

Having said that the convertor is only a handy lens and will not be superior to a prime lens like the 20mm f2.8 lens. Since my church buildings photos shown elsewhere I have bought a 20mm 2.8 lens. But for going on holiday etc and to carry less weight the wide angle convertor looks to be OK- for the odd occasion you want a wider coverage than what the 18mm-55mm lens can give.
          Thanks Nathaniel - I'll be ordering mine before the end of the week!
          Scotty - Noob with a 550D, Russell Hobbs 14943, 18-55 IS Kit Lens,
          70-300mm Tamron, Wahl 5560-917, nifty fifty and a Philips QC5015

Flickr Account

Comment

The bigger and better critic is Colin and as he has OKayed the convertor, it should serve the purpose of a wider angle lens. However, if you are seriously going in for architechural photography, after a while, you might consider the 10mm-20mm zoom or the 20mm f2.8.

I note you are from South Wales, an area I know very well having lived in Cardiff for 25 years before I moved to the North West. Which part of S.Wales are you from?

Comment

Working...
            X