Cheap(ish) Macro Lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap(ish) Macro Lens?

Probably know the answer to this, but just wondering if there is an EF(s) macro lens out there for less than 100 pounds that will take fairly decent images. I don't mind adding some flash to the exposure.

Not really done much in the macro world, so this is all a little unknown for me.

Paul
    EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

various flash guns & modifiers

Re: Cheap(ish) Macro Lens?

Think the only Canon EF-s macro is the 60mm f2.8. However, even s/h they still go for about £200+.
    Save up a little more and go for the EF 100 f2.8, a better deal for somewhere around the same price.
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Sorry, meant to say EF or EF-s.
      EOS 600d & EOS 6D

35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, Sigma 28-70 2.8, 18-55 kit lens (plus some lenses which I hire)

Comment

Maybe try a close-up adapter on an existing lens.
        OTOH:
        (1) Canon 250D which is £70-80 depending on thread size (it goes on the front of an existing lens - note whether you want a 250D or 500D depends on the lenses you already have).
        (2) Raynox DCR-250 which seems to be about £40.
        ...or combine the two (which could be a little brave on a DSLR but is good on a G-series compact).
        I actually have both, which I used to use for macro shots on a G7, back in the day... and have played with on a DSLR.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Ekert View Post
          Probably know the answer to this, but just wondering if there is an EF(s) macro lens out there for less than 100 pounds that will take fairly decent images. I don't mind adding some flash to the exposure.

Not really done much in the macro world, so this is all a little unknown for me.

Paul
          Cheapest is probably the Cosina 100mm f3.5. I understand it make use of a lot of plastic in it's construction and I think it only does half life size but is supposed to be surprisingly decent when stopped down.

For a we bit more Ffordes could sell you a genuine Canon 50mm f2.5 macro. Again only half life size but should be better IQ all round. There is a dedicated 'lifesize converter' available for it though they can be hard to find - I suspect a decent 2x Teleplus would do much the same job.

Another alternative is extension tubes which you can use with existing lenses. Downside is they do lose you a bit of light, eg 50mm of extension on a 50mm lens will lose you two stops of light which is survivable if you're using a fast prime but not so good with zooms

Another cheapish alternative is to buy an old manual focus lens and a reversing ring. This works quite well but the downside is quite a short camera to subject distance and stop down metering. Best not to use EF lenses for this as the have no mechanical aperture to open and close. There is a work round for this or there are special reversing rings which allow access to the lenses electronic control.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

The extension tubes sound interesting, especially if I combine it with my nifty fifty 1.8. Many, many, many of these things on ebay though. What should I avoid?
            EOS 600d & EOS 6D

Comment

IMHO Kenko extension tubes are good. You want ones with electrical contacts so the camera can still control the lens aperture etc.

Comment

Cool, thank you, I will look into it.
                EOS 600d & EOS 6D

Comment

Working...
                X