Sigma 150-600, Contemporary Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 150-600, Contemporary Version

I picked up one of these at the Taunton branch of LCE today and have been really fortunate with the light so have managed to get some test shots and form some opinions. A couple of points first though. First, it's heavy. Really heavy compared to the 400L. So much so that I can't imagine how Jeff and Stan manage their Sport models without a forklift truck. Second, it has limitations. This lens is no silver bullet. Yes you get 600mm at the long end but you still need to fill as much of the frame as you can. Massive crops will expose the lens, as it will with any long lens.

So, some samples:

A female sparrow. This is easily in the same league as the shots I get from the 400L:

Bird in a wire by andymulhearn, on Flickr

The speed of the AF places it in the same league as the 400L too:

Gull by andymulhearn, on Flickr

Gull by andymulhearn, on Flickr

Shooting into the light works too:

Blue tit by andymulhearn, on Flickr

And if you shoot at a bit less than 600mm, then the quality is really rather good. Not that 600mm is bad, just that, well, it gets a bit better :

Cormorant by andymulhearn, on Flickr

Oh, it also works if you stick the mk II Canon 1.4 TC into the mix. No shots as yet but AF works with a recorded f9.0 and that makes it an effective 1344mm lens. Yum, yum.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Sigma 150-600, Contemporary Version

Thanks for these superb pictures and esp your comments on the lens, which is much appreciated.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for that Andy, I'm converted.

Bill.
      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Thanks for the write up Andy

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I'm really impressed with the lens so far.

One thing I didn't mention is the Image Stabilisation, which the 400L doesn't have. So not only do I have more reach now but I can drop shutter speed and hence ISO without worrying about camera shake. For static birds I've dropped from 1/1000 with the 400L to 1/500 with the Sigma, though for small birds less than that may be too slow to stop motion, and can see the effect in lower ISO and noise.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Great photos Andy.

I know what you mean about the weight though - I hired a 150-600 Sport a few weeks back - in gusty conditions, it was almost impossible to hold steady!
            Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

An interesting report Andy, and I'm sure very useful to those considering this lens. I would be happy with those results

I deliberated long and hard over the 'Sport' version (the Contemporary had'n't been released at the time), as a replacement for the EF 400L 5.6, and 1.4x TC III. The main reason being to gain the IS facility, without compromising on the image quality (IQ) of the EF 400L.

Looking at your results, and those from Stan and Geoff, with their 'Sport' version, it seems that IQ of either the 'Contemporary' or the 'Sport', is more than acceptable.

It was the size/weight/portability factor, that eventually influenced my decision to spend a lot more money, and go for the new EF 100-400 L IS ll, and retain my EF 1.4x TC lll for added reach.

Unfortunately, just after buying this lens, I went into hospital for major surgery, and due to the wound becoming infected, now some six weeks on from having surgery, I'm not 'out of the woods yet', am still pretty much house-bound, and having a nurse come in daily to change the dressing.

So, I have not yet had much chance to put this lens 'through its paces', but from the very limited use it has had (in the garden), it doesn't disappoint. But then, at £2k, I would be very disappointed if it did . The 5D3 + 400L II ll is certainly comfortably portable, and not too heavy in use. It also fits nicely into a Lowepro 55 AW ll 'holster bag'. Which makes it easy and convenient to carry around.

I'm sure that you are going to be very happy with your purchase, and I look forward to seeing more of what it can do.

Dave
              Last edited by Dave_S; 25-05-2015, 11:33.
              Dave

Comment

Cheers Jock.

Dave, that's a tale of woe. But I can't argue with your choice of the mk II 100-400, it looks to be a stonking lens and I'm sure it will work well with the 1.4 tc.

Here's to hoping (he said raising a glass of lager) your on the mend soon and back out taking loads of shots with your new toy
                Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 24-05-2015, 21:00. Reason: Wretched autocorrect change stonking to stinking :-(

Comment

So now my Mrs. is using my 400L and has started to turning out stuff like this:

seagull by Celia Mulhearn, on Flickr

Winners all round IMHO

Comment

Thought you had bought the sport Andy ,good shots by both you and the wife

Comment

Nah, because my mrs. made a grab for the 400L - I really thought she wouldn't want it because it would be too heavy for her - I didn't have the budget for the Sport.

Comment

Here's one for you Jeff. Shot at 531mm and then a fair old crop. I think it's come out pretty well:

Great Crested Grebe by andymulhearn, on Flickr

But if you're wondering how well the 7D2 goes with these lenses, Stan's providing some damn good reference samples

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                          I think it's come out pretty well:
                          I think so too Andy, very nice indeed!!

Dave
                          Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X