Which converter please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which converter please?

I am using the Sigma 150-600mm Sport with my 7DII and have tried it out with the Kenko 1.4x DGX converter. This converter gives superb results with the EF400mm f5.6L but there are AF issues using it with the Sigma.

I now wish to obtain an alternative and the choice is between the new Sigma TC 1401, the Canon EF 1.4x III or the new Kenko 1.4x HD.

Any advice on or experience with these converters with this lens would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Canon 7D II, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon, Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551–479 BC)

Re: Which converter please?

i use the canon 1.4 mkii david it works fine with no problems at all.i have heard the sigma one has problems though be careful.
    in fact heres one of a sequence of six on my flickr stream ,1Dmkiii ,sigma sport,canon 1.4tc all hand held

3 of 6 by jeff cohen, on Flickr
    Last edited by the black fox; 11-07-2015, 06:26.

Comment

Although using a x2 converter you lose a full stop bear in mind the advantage of the extra reach.
      With the 1.4x you have 150x1.6x1.4=336 which is still some way below the 960mm (600x1.6) without any converter so why use such a converter unless you need more than 960mm.
      With a 2x you get to 150x1.6x2.0=480 so still not past the native 960mm but at least you're 50% of the way instead of only 35%.
      Plus with the 2x you get to 600x1.6x2=1920mm & not 1344mm, blimey that's a whole lot of extra reach for 1/2 a stop less compared to the 1.4x converter.
      I know people waffle on about the loss of 1/2 a stop & a bit of IQ but for me these are not worth the loss of the extra reach.
      After all that's what a converters for, giving the extra zoom.
      Just my 2-peneth worth...

Comment

Although using a x2 converter you lose a full stop
        you lose 2 stops with a 2x and 1 stop with a 1.4x

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Working...
        X