Disappointed with 15-85mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointed with 15-85mm

First and foremost, a huge hello to those who may remember me! I cannot imagine that it's been close to 18 months since I last posted here. Life has been incredibly busy with parenting my twins daughters. They are now two and half years old, lots of fun but busy as anything! Hope to get some photography going again. I have missed this forum.

Anyway I know where to turn to for help. So having eyed the 15-85mm for a long time and saving up for it, I finally purchased the lens brand new about six months ago. After all the research and reviews I had read this lens has been rather disappointing - as far as IQ is concerned. It's just not that great, tends to be soft and not the sharpness the reviews go on about. Lack of consistency in IQ has been frustrating. I know some of you have raved about this lens here. I find my 60mm is still the preferred lens (admittedly this is generally a much sharper lens) and am actually considering off-loading the 15-85mm. Has anyone had issues with a copy of this lens and had to return it?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I am using a 450D body

Thanks
    Donald
    Last edited by chodeva; 20-07-2015, 20:02.
    regards
    Donald

Re: Disappointed with 15-85mm

I was pleased with mine which I used for several years and found it ideal for many situations. It did finally give up the ghost when the connection to the camera gave up, or something broke within in it and it wasn't worth getting it fixed!

I don't know what body you are using but can you micro adjust the focus to get a better match between it and the lens?
    Andrew

Comment

Welcome back. Not forgotten you. I am very surprised to note your negative comments about this lens. Perhaps it is a bad copy and if possible try and return it and get another one as you are still within the 12 months guarantee. I took a lot of pictures with this lens on my trip to Canada a few years ago and I couldn't fault it at all. I did of course use the lens on a 60D body.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have a 15-85 on my 7D but, because I bought the camera body only, had to source the lens separately and mine was second-hand. I had heard some stories about dodgy IS so pressed the seller on it and it does seem OK. There has been word of a need to micro adjust the focus (like wot Birdie said above) but I have no experience of that. Other than that I can't think of anything. I assume you've performed some rigorous tripod-mounted tests, remote or timer released at different apertures to see if you can isolate a problem (and eliminate handling issues)?

I think it's a great lens; I have occasionally felt a need to go 'L' but nothing on my crop body provides the focal range the 15-85 does. Indeed, taking the crop factor into account it's the same range as the ubiquitous 24-105 on FF and, some say, is built to 'L' standards but due to Canon wishing to provide a pro/am distinction between FF/crop won't market it as such.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

I am coming back a second time only to second John's comment above. It is a fab lens in my opinion. I only sold it as I had bought the 24-105 and was going full frame first with the 5D 2 and now with the 6D. I think you should take your lens back without messing about with micro adjustments etc as it is still under guarantee- less than 12 months old. One other suggestion is to try the lens on a newer crop body as it is possible that the lens is not performing well with the 450D.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for your feedback guys.
            regards
            Donald

Comment

Hi Donald - I used my 15-85 on a 40D and was very happy with it.
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

My dad has the 15-85 on a 40D, I think it's quite versatile and not so bad

Comment

Working...
                X