Sigma 120 - 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 120 - 400

Anyone got any practical experience of this lens?

I need something for airshows. My 70-200 f/4 plus 1.4 converter isn't really ideal. Obviously the 100-400L is popular and anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that quality issues have been sorted, but it's expensive and it would be nice to consider a few viable alternatives if I should take the plunge! I read an article in last Saturdays Daily Telegraph (I think) about a travel/landscape guy who swears by the Sigma and it's 4 stop optical stabiliser.

On the other hand, what are the chances, do you think, of a 100-400 replacement being unveiled in Sept?

Re: Sigma 120 - 400

Any airshows that I have been to, the serious photogrphers all seem to be using the 100 - 400mm. There is the odd Sigma and ocassionaly someone with two bodies and a prime on each, but the front of the crowd line seems to be a sea of 100 - 400's. If they weren't happy with them, they would be using something else and I must admit, even though I mostly use prime telephotos, when I need the versatility of the zoom, I am always pleasantly surprised how well it performs.

Conversely, I generally find Sigma tele zooms slow to focus and noisy, compared to Canon, which is the reason I have never bought one. As part of this response, I looked for a review and include the link below. He seems to start off quite happy with the lens and over time seems disapointed. It is rather tedious to wade through, but here is the link:

For a replacement in September, you can never guess with Canon. You logically assume that a lens could do with replacing, like the 50mm f1.4, and they come out with something completely different. Best just wait until September and see what goodies they come out with, but I suspect that when a replacement is unveiled, it is more likely to be a 200 - 400 f4, at a big price.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I know this may be a bit short on focal length for you but £478 will buy you an L Series F4 70-200 USM lens which is quiet frankly AMAZING value and you may get more focal length depending on your body so this could be just the ticket...(?)

Review here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Buy here: http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...etcurrency=gbp

Comment

I have the 70-200 f4, and yes it is good quality and value.

If you are not worried abouythe f no the add the 1.4 extender to make it a 280mm
        ef-r

Comment

Hi. I have both the Canon 70-200 l f4 lens and also 120-400 Sigma lens. The Canon lens is really an excellent lens. The Sigma is also a good lens I was unable to go to the price of the Canon 100-400 l lens, but so far very pleased with the Sigma. I would recommened the Sigma 120-400 good value for the money.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/47382834@N07/

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X