Replacement 'walkabout' lens for 20D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement 'walkabout' lens for 20D

My 17-85 EFS lens has developed a fault showing 'error99'on the 20D and after a few checks
    I am thinking it may be unrepairable.
    What would be the best replacement lens to buy considering that I have decided to downgrade
    the 20D (have just purchased a 5DmKII)to a walkabout camera for general use & holidays etc.
    I would also like to keep any new lens permanently attached to keep out the dust so I was thinking
    of a wide range zoom such as a Canon 18-135 or 18-200 or alternative make equivalent.
    Would appreciate any ideas on the subject.
    Thanks
    Ron

Re: Replacement 'walkabout' lens for 20D

Got to be a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Used you will pay about £180 and have seem em new for £230. If money no object and I'm assuming from your thread that it is definately not the other option would be the 'L' (Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM). Hope this helps - I'm deliberating over these two lenses myself ATM but my problem is compounded by the fact that I need to buy a decent long range lens too...75-200/400...

Comment

My 17-85 EFS lens has developed a fault showing 'error99'on the 20D and after a few checks
      I am thinking it may be unrepairable.
      Hi Ron, does the 17-85 give errors on your 5D2 ?

Milllie

Comment

Hi Millie
        Thanks for your reply.
        The 17-85 lens won't fit the 5DMkII because it's a EFS fitment and will only fit a non FF camera (20D)
        The 5DMkII will only take EF lenses.
        Ron

Comment

Ron

Error 99 is normally an indication that the lens is not talking to the body.

Clean the contacts. First with a microfibre cloth and if that doen't work, get a hard pencil eraser (the green ones) and rub it well over the contacts, then clean it again with the microfibre cloth. In most instances, the lens will now work.

Good luck.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

Have a look at the Sigma 17-70 if you get no luck cleaning the contacts.
            --
            Colin
            http://fotos-espana.com
            http://macameraclub.com
            http://turnspain.com

Comment

The 5DMkII will only take EF lenses.
              LOL Yes of course Ron , I was just having one of my DOH stupid moments :-)

My point is that, just cos the 20D is 'err 20 ing' the lens it doesn't mean the lenses is faulty,
              try it on a friends body that supports efs. I'm sure you knew that anyways

Millie

Comment

I would suggest the 24-105 f4 as it could also be used on your 5d

Brian
                ef-r

Comment

Tried the 'rubber' cleaning technique the first time it showed 'error 99' however I gave the contacts
                  an extra clean again today but with no joy ! It only works at the very far end of the zoom range(85)
                  Also checked the camera with all my other lenses (100macro,24-70L,70-200L & 100-400L),now dedicated
                  to my 5DMkII, and the 20D worked fine.
                  However I have pulled an old EF 28-90 of my film EOS30 Date and fitted that for the moment untill I decide on
                  an alternative (seems to work ok but a bit short on range).
                  Many thanks for all your sound advise and comments which are much appreciated and noted.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                  X