• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please :-)

Hi All

I recently upgraded from a 500D to a 7D. My current lenses are:

Sigma 18-250 f3.5 MACRO
    Canon 50mm f1.8

What next? Would you be happy with these or should I look for another for my bag? Perhaps a wide angle?

I am new to this really so not sure what to look for in a lens? is it the F stop? the range?, I still cant quite work out why a lens is expensive?

Any advise would be gratefully recieved?

Many thanks
    Richard
    Canon EOS 7D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard-davidson/

Re: Help Please :-)

Ultimately image quality, the camera is only as good as the lens. What lenses you need depends on what you want to do with them.
    Paul

Comment

With a crop camera, I would go for a wide angle- either the Sigma 10-20 or the Canon 10-22 or the Canon 10-18mm- the last mentioned is the cheapest but excellent IQ. I have got it as well.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
        Ultimately image quality, the camera is only as good as the lens. What lenses you need depends on what you want to do with them.
        exactly ...we can't tell you as we don't know what you shoot, or indeed the budget
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I too think a uwa is a good thing the 10-18 is works well I use the 10-22 non is its truly a matter of budget and you vision on what photographs you wish to take the 7d is a very well made camera.
          ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
          1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

Coming back to this, since it's popped up in my little list. I believe the best way to choose a lens is to get out there and take some photos. Don't bother buying anything until you find you either can't get it with what you have because it's too long or too short, or you find that you have the right focal lengths but your skills are moving beyond the capability of the lenses you have in terms of image quality. This way you don't waste money on lenses you don't need. It kind of comes back to that old phrase 'all the gear, no idea'. I'm not saying you don't have any idea, but if you just get out there and shoot, when you need a new lens you'll know why you need it and can choose accordingly.
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by planetc View Post
              Coming back to this, since it's popped up in my little list. I believe the best way to choose a lens is to get out there and take some photos. Don't bother buying anything until you find you either can't get it with what you have because it's too long or too short, or you find that you have the right focal lengths but your skills are moving beyond the capability of the lenses you have in terms of image quality. This way you don't waste money on lenses you don't need. It kind of comes back to that old phrase 'all the gear, no idea'. I'm not saying you don't have any idea, but if you just get out there and shoot, when you need a new lens you'll know why you need it and can choose accordingly.
              great advice Paul - it does mean you'll loose a shot or two, but least you won't have a lens in your bag you'll never use
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

All above is true. If you do not know what lens you want/need, then you don't need another lens! But I would say that a 10-22mm or even Sigma's 8-16mm fills a gap. Then if you find you need a longer lens then you ought to look at a better quality longer zoom (or long prime) lens.

Comment

You can basically put photography into a few types ,landscapes and static scenes,people indoor and outdoors ,or sport and wildlife .thats without getting to specific if you can tell us what genre your needs will fall into then it's easier to advise on lens type ,and also your budget

Comment

Working...
                  X