First use of Canon 10-22 zoom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First use of Canon 10-22 zoom

I received the lens on Monday and have had a short while on the way home from work last night and tonight to have a very quick experiment using the lens. Boy can you get a lot into the viewfinder. Yes there can be a distinct tapering of verticals if you are not careful but first impressions are that I like it.

Ospringe Church

Old house in Wingham AD1286 (the tapering walls on this house are not due to the lens they do lean inwards)

Old thatched cottage in Wingham

I think this is a plane tree but may be wrong

Re: First use of Canon 10-22 zoom

A very good first play. With any other lens, you probably couldn't have taken the shots, without being in the front room of the houses opposite. You are correct with Plane tree, of the genus Platanus.

I love the 10 - 22mm and dearly wish they made one for larger sensors. I read an article once of someone in the USA, who machined off the protruding edge of the rear lens element holder at an angle. That way it cleared the mirror and he could use it on a 1 series body. A braver man than me.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Looking good Muscat... watch out for your toes though. I bet you manage to include them in at least one shot during the first couple of weeks...

David
      David

Comment

I resisted the temptation to trade in my 10-22 as I just think it's a great lens. Okay I don't really have a body to put it on right now... but one day :-)

Comment

Muscat,

What made you buy the Canon lens in preference to the Sigma 10mm-20mm? Most members seem to own the Sigma lens. I am considering buying the Sigma at some point in time. Your thoughts on this matter are very welcome.
          Pity aboiut the converging verticals. As Colin C mentioned some time ago, one has to walk back over the adjoining fields or something like that to avert the verticals problem unless of course you have a slush fund to buy the shift & tilt lens @ £5000 odd!

Nathaniel
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 21-07-2010, 13:07.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel Ramanaden View Post
            As Colin C mentioned some time ago, one has to walk back over the adjoing fields or something like that to avert the verticals problem unless of course you have a slush fund to buy the shift lens @ £5000 odd!

Nathaniel
            You could by the whole set of tilt and shift lenses for that sum and have enough change to buy a 10 - 22mm .......... Canon of course!

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Nathaniel,

The reason I went down the Canon route was 4 fold.

Firstly I like Canon kit and felt that having made the leap into their world I would like to keep to the single brand, heart leading head.

Secondly and probably more important to me is that i spent many hours interrogating the internet reading all the reviews and comments that I could find about the 2 lenses, as yes I did seriously consider the Sigma 10-20 lens. However I found that in a very large number of instances the reports indicated that build quality of the Sigma units was very variable with many people getting very sub-standard kit and having the problems of convincing the supplier that the klens was defective so that they could get a replacement unit

Thirdly most reports I read implied that the Canon lens was slightly better than the Sigma lens and as I was hoping next year to try and replace my kit lenses with the dreaded L family it seemed logical to go for the best I could afford

And finally i looked at the second hand value of the 2 lenses and it seemed to me that if I did ever want to sell the lens I stood a better chance of recovering money with the Canon.

As for stepping back to get more room and reduce the converging verticals in all these cases that was not an option which is partly why i chose them as sample shots. If money was no object then yes I would have loved the slide and tilt lenses but I would probably have needed a month of lesons to learn how to use them. Maybe it is L series lenses next year, new body and slide and tilt the year after that. You can always dream

Comment

Very wise Muscat.

Rather than just look at the initial cost of the lens, you have investigated the cost of "ownership" and a used Canon 10 - 22mm carries quite a large premium over its Sigma equivalent.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

I have been managing budgets at work for so long now that for personal items that are of a significant value I tend to apply the same basis.

Having said that if things go the way they typically do with my camera and simlar equipment it always seems to end up with one of my daughters and I get nothing back financially other than saving the cost of buying them different kit I surpose that is some return on investment and certainly reflects the total cost of ownership.

Comment

I am not sure we allow phrases like "Return on investment" or "Total cost of ownership" .................... it sets Nathaniel all of a quiver. He gets quite excited you know!

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

you missed NPV

Comment

and TOE
                        David

Comment

I got one a couple of months after it was released and I enjoyed using it. It's a quality lens and you'll have no end of fun with it, especially creating shots with converging verticals, although I know converging verticals is not to everyones liking a bit like do you PS or not ;)

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                            A very good first play. With any other lens, you probably couldn't have taken the shots, without being in the front room of the houses opposite. You are correct with Plane tree, of the genus Platanus.

I love the 10 - 22mm and dearly wish they made one for larger sensors. I read an article once of someone in the USA, who machined off the protruding edge of the rear lens element holder at an angle. That way it cleared the mirror and he could use it on a 1 series body. A braver man than me.

Colin
                            not that I'm ready for new lens yet, but does the sensor size limit your choice of lenses? I thought all Canon lenses fitted all bodies!
                            Struggling with technology.......................

Comment

Originally posted by RevvinKevin View Post
                              not that I'm ready for new lens yet, but does the sensor size limit your choice of lenses? I thought all Canon lenses fitted all bodies!
                              It does. The canon EF-S lenses can only be used with the 1.6 crop sensors, i.e. 550D, 50D and 7D where as the EF lenses can be used with all EOS bodies.

Comment

Working...
                              X