Wich kind of lenses for Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wich kind of lenses for Australia

On march we will travel to Australia. We are going with a camper on this route:
    Melbourne, on the great ocean road to adelaide, including kangaroo island. From there up to Alice Springs (uluru / ayer's rock) outback red centre. After this higher up to the top end to Darwin ( including Kakadu np Litchfield np).

So my question now is:

What kind of lenses would you recommend for this tour.

I have a Canon 6D and the following lenses.
    Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye
    Canon EF40mm f2.8 Stm
    Canon EF50mm f1.4 usm
    Canon EF24-105 f4L.

I would buy 1-2 lenses if needed. Please recommend what lenses to buy if needed.

Thanks a lot :-)

Re: Wich kind of lenses for Australia

hi and welcome

nice trip !! look forward to seeing what you get - if it was my trip I'd take the 24-105 and the 100-400 as that will cover a large range and the 24 on a FF is still pretty wide.

But also a lot depends on your interest
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

What a great trip that will be and the right time of the year for a trip like this. You are making me homesick.

The 24-105 is a no brainer, leave the other three at home, although the fish eye will give a really dramatic effect in the Red Centre.
      A 100-400 will be useful but to be honest the last time I was back home I got more use from my 70-200 than I did with my 100-400.
      Maybe a 70-200 with a 1.4 Extender. Light is not going to be a problem so the extender will give you that bit more reach on the 70-200.
      The other lens I would consider is a 16-35.
      Just remember that in the Red Centre there is miles and miles and miles of red nothing except for one very large rock.
      David

Comment

thank you... so if I have to pay about 2000$ for a lens.. than I prefer the 70-200 f2.8L II than the 100-400 II. It is lighter and has better image quality with a superb image stabilizer. for the ultra wide side.. I like the view of my fisheye and can defish the pictures taken with it but I am thinking about the 16-35 f4L.

Comment

Having never been to Australia I don't have much idea of what you are likely to see or want to shoot. Bearing in mind you have a full frame camera, all your current lenses are going to be fine for landscape/scenery/urban/people shots but if you are thinking of any sort of wildlife then 400mm on a full frame is going to be the minimum

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

Stan,
            The wildlife will be Koalas in Gum Trees which you can stand almost next to as they will be asleep, Kangaroos which will be in herds of 100-200 at a time and also they will be on the side of the road either asleep, eating the grass at sunset or dead, snakes... well a 1200 is not big enough for some of these nasty boys.... the Wedge Tail Eagle, Australia's biggest raptor, will be eating road kill or so high up it will only be a black spot and the Wombat is just a big barrel of slowness and you can stop the camper, get out and take a photo with the 24-105.
            Sulpher Crested Cockatoos are everywhere as are budgerigars. Kookaburra's will sit in the trees nest to you and watch you eating particularly if you are having a bar-b-que with sausages as they think they are snakes and will grab them off the table... the bar-b-que will also attract the goannas

Maybe consider hiring a 100-400 from Lens 4 Hire rather than buy one.

As I said the last time I was home I took my 100-400 and used it only about a half dozen times. The 70-200 and the 24-105 got a hammering.

Just make sure you pack a polarizing filter for each of the lens you take as the Australian sky will just be a burnt white without the polarizing filter.
            Last edited by djguk47; 03-01-2016, 00:37.
            David

Comment

thank you djguk47...

I will take a 70-200... not sure wich one... the f4 is... the f2.8 is ii or the tamron f2.8 vc...

thanks a lot
              Last edited by jannysvolo; 03-01-2016, 01:24.

Comment

I prefer the 70-200 f2.8L II than the 100-400 II
                there's not much weight difference between these lenses - but if you do go for the 70-200 get the 2x converter as that will give you the extra reach should you need it
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Having been to Australia recently I had a similar decision to make. I am in the fortunate position in having both the 70-200mm f2.8 and the new 100-400mm lens and a 1.4MK III extender. My EFS 15-85mm was a definite. Of the other two - I decided on the 100-400mm and glad I did. I didn't do a road trip. The polarisers are very much needed. I use a 7D MKII. Weight was an issue for me when I took an internal flight with Jetstar. Basic hand luggage was 7kg. First time I have ever had hand luggage weighed. I was over the limit. Had to put my 100-400mm lens in my young daughters hand luggage. And yes, I did carry her bag.

Kevin

Comment

I suppose it depends on what sort of photography you do.
                    If it's mostly landscapes then the 24-105 and a 70-200 would cover most circumstances.
                    If it's wild life as well replace the 70-200 with a 100-400 lens.
                    If architecture is you thing the fish eye could be useful.
                    If you are creative and adventurous and what to try to get exceptional images under unexceptional circumstances then dump the lot, bite the bullet, gird your loins and take to manual Zeiss primes - a 24mm and a 85mm.
                    James
                    James Boardman Woodend
                    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Wow, I'm anxious to see the pictures!

Like the others, 24-105 for everyday carrying all around lens, and rent or buy something with long reach. Have you considered renting such lens as the Canon 200-400 with integrated 1.4x (very versatile) ? Or the Sigma 150-600mm ?

Comment

Hello DanFlag...

the sigma 150-600 is an option too... for a ff dslr... I am thinking about. .. I want to buy a lens that I use for Australia but after this trip... too and this makes me thinking that the 70-200 would be the better choice.

Comment

Hello. I am sure you will enjoy your visit to OZ as much as I did. The light is very good for photography. I found that the 70-200mm lens, & a 50mm & 28mm lens was quite satisfactory. Darwin is very good for wildlife pics esp crocodiles & all kinds of birds. The red terriotory is ,as David mentioned,only a big rock- Ayers Rock in those days but observe the religious foibles of the natives. When I went there some years ago, a member in my party climbed the rock against the wishes of the people and somehow contrived to fall down the rock and kill himself. Omen or not I cannot say. Enjoy your trip.
                          Last edited by Nathaniel; 05-01-2016, 12:12.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thank you Nathaniel!

I am not sure wich 70-200 to buy...

Comment

Originally posted by jannysvolo View Post
                              Thank you Nathaniel!

I am not sure wich 70-200 to buy...
                              I had the Canon 70-200mm f4L lens. If you also have the 24-105mm lens (which I have now) I will take just these two.

Enjoy your trip.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X