Moisture in Canon 18-55 kit lens.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moisture in Canon 18-55 kit lens.

As some of you may be aware, I have just got a new 760D in part exchange for my old 700D and the two kit lenses. However, the 18-55 was declined because of moisture in the lens. Not really a problem, I just altered my payment and all was well.

As the 18-55 lens was only 4/5 months old I resorted to the warranty. I spoke to the shop of purchase and was told that Canon warranties do not cover my non weather sealed lens for moisture. I rang Canon support and spoke to a very nice lady who confirmed that the shop was correct.

She said that the lens could possibly be repaired but the cost would be more than a new lens. So this now leaves me with a duff lens. Although I should add that I took some perfectly good shots with it this afternoon. It was also suggested that I put said lens into sealed bag with some rice, uncooked I assume. I should leave this for an undetermined length of time and hope that the moisture might go away. This I will do.

The offending lens has been kept in the same room and place as all my photographic equipment, doe this now mean that my other lenses will have moisture in them. How do I find out? Does it matter? Does anyone care? Will tomorrow even come? Watch this space. Hee! Hee!
    Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168448632@N02/

Re: Moisture in Canon 18-55 kit lens.

Hi! Jay Jay,

I would suggest that you get a few bags of silica gel (Boots or any good chemist) and first heat it in an oven and then put it in the plastic bag. It should absorb all the moisture. I have never used rice. Secondly, I also keep all my equipment inside my wardrobe, which is quite dry. On and off I would leave my lenses and cameras on my bed for an airing and so far I have not had any problem. Make sure that the room you keep your equipment is not damp and is kept warm. Ah! yes, before I forget. Whenever I use my equipment in the cold esp now, I will always leave them on my bed to "dry" out or for an airing before I put them back in my holdall.

I am sure other more experienced members will also give their view on this subject.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

You need to quote the sale of goods act to them, specifically

If your claim under the Sale of Goods Act ends up in court, you may have to prove that the fault was present when you bought the item and not, for example, something which was the result of normal wear and tear.

If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or as described when it sold them.

For example, by showing that the problem was caused by an external factor such as accidental damage.
      you have the right to get faulty goods replaced or repaired if it's too late to reject them. You can ask the retailer to do either, but they can normally choose to do whatever would be cheapest.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace faulty goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'.

If the seller doesn't do this, you're entitled to claim either:

• a reduction on the purchase price, or
      • your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called recision)

If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, and they won't replace them either, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair your item, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

You have six years to take a claim to court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland; in Scotland you have five years.
      If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or as described when it sold them.

For example, by showing that the problem was caused by an external factor such as accidental damage.
      The Sale of Goods Act 1979 has now been replaced by the Consumer Rights Act 2015, but you may be able to claim under it if goods you bought on or before 30 September 2015 become faulty.

As you have moisture in the lens the lens can be said not to be fit for use, up to 6 months it is the shops reponsibility to prove you are at fault in handling the lens, after that time it is up to you to prove the shop was negligent. The fault isnt neccesarily the moisture present, but the fact it was able to so easily penetrate the lens, especially as the other lens shows no signs of it.

Failing that, how did you purchase it? If on a credit card you will be insured through the card and you can claim off the card for a replacement.

Do not let them get away with it, go in and speak to the manager, print off or quote the sale of goods act and tell them the goods are not of merchantable quality as it is reasonable to expect them to fail after a couple of months, or better still inform him you are writing to their head office, trust me, no manager wants that happening.. I had similar with a secondhand car out of warranty and I got it repaired to my satisfaction ( brakes and Haldex unit on an Audi TT )

There are letter formats on the link I gave you :)
      Last edited by TonyT; 02-03-2016, 17:01.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

A hard one to quantify ,first off have you ever used the lens in the rain ,or put it in a bag to protect it from the rain ,in either case the odds are it would have been left in a damp bag ,Also lenses and cameras need time to adjust to temperature changes this time of year .i.e cold and damp into a central heated house or the reverse.

You also don't say what room you actually keep your gear in .for instance I once bricked a expensive mobile phone by charging it in the kitchen near the kettle .without the full facts it's hard to say who's to blame but I would be carefull with storage from now on ,.rice grains will work though ,as will the moisture absorbing crystal packs of even cat litter

Comment

Jeff, I'm prepared to wonder if the spare room that I use for my pc and photographic editing and the keeping of my camera and lenses in might not be the warmest in the house. I have just spoken to the retailer and had a very amicable chat with him. On telling him that I use the spare room he said that it should b have been alright.

The lens is going to be picked up on Monday, I'm not available until then and we shall go from there. After speaking to the retailer, I'm hopefully optimistic that a satisfactory solution can be found.

The lens sale come under the Consumer Rights Act, as it was bought after October 1st, last year. The possible problem is the moisture and when it came to be. However, the Act states that it the burden of proof lies with the retailer and not the purchaser. Faint heart and all that what!

Just a tiny bit of topic. I've managed to take around twenty shots with the new 760D. Some were with the 70-200L lens, some with the Tamron 16-300 and some with the offending 18-55 moisturised lens. All are pretty good. I can't see any moisture in the lens but I'm assured that it is there.
          Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168448632@N02/

Comment

I would use this oportunity to replace the offending lens with something a little better. Everything else re storage etc. has already been said which I would reiterate.

Comment

I buy Silica Gel packs from the '7 Day Shop, and always keep one or two in my 'kit bag'.

They come in a re-sealable poly bag, and at intervals I take out what I need, and put them in the 'kit bag'.

As they are cheap to buy, I don't bother drying the used ones in the oven, but throw them away when I feel that they have served their time.

Never bring a camera or lens in from the cold, and store it and away until it's had time to acclimatise. If you wear glasses, you will know how they steam up when you come in from the cold.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X