EOS 600D 'kit' lens - auto focus stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 600D 'kit' lens - auto focus stopped working

Hi All, New to this forum, hoping someone can help. I have had the kit about 4 years now. The 18-55mm kit lens one day became intermittent and then ceased auto focusing, only allowing shots at all on manual focus. The Macro lens I have auto focuses, indicating a lens fault. Any ideas as to how to fix please?

Re: EOS 600D 'kit' lens - auto focus stopped working

Do you get an error message on the LCD, error 01 or similar ?

could be dirty contacts disrupting communication between the camera and lens or a problem within the lens itself. If the latter then repair costs are likely to exceed the value of the lens and much cheaper to replace it

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      Do you get an error message on the LCD, error 01 or similar ?

could be dirty contacts disrupting communication between the camera and lens or a problem within the lens itself. If the latter then repair costs are likely to exceed the value of the lens and much cheaper to replace it

Stan
      Thanks Stan, No error messages, have wiped contacts on lens (and body, just in case) to no avail. Sounds like a replacement required!

Comment

Thanks Stan, No error messages, have wiped contacts on lens (and body, just in case) to no avail. Sounds like a replacement required!

Comment

unfortunately its a common occurrence on these lenses ,investing in a better replacement will pay dividends in quality

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
            unfortunately its a common occurrence on these lenses ,investing in a better replacement will pay dividends in quality
            Thanks Black Fox, looks like I had better look for better zoom lens, or maybe fixed. Thanks again

Comment

Ferdie - I had the EFS 17-85 kit lens that came with my 40D fail - as Jeff says, not uncommon with the kit lenses.

I replaced mine with the EFS 15-85 (considerably more expensive than the kit lens, but a whole different beast in terms of image quality) and have not regretted it one jot or tittle.
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

But, to be fair, general opinion and test reviews conclude that the newer kit lenses, in the IS STM series, are a great improvement on the older ones, both in construction and optical performance. The three I have 10 - 18, 18 - 55 and 55 - 250 all perform very well and are pretty solidly constructed for the price. "Slow" of course in terms of max aperture, but I shoot most things at f8 anyway where their IQ is very good. And not too much weight to carry about.
                EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks John, I was thinking about getting an EF designation lens so that if I upgrade to a full frame body I can still use the lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdie View Post
                    Thanks John, I was thinking about getting an EF designation lens so that if I upgrade to a full frame body I can still use the lens.
                    Then I would suggest the EF 24-105 - a great wallkabout lens
                    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                      Then I would suggest the EF 24-105 - a great wallkabout lens
                      Thanks again John. Will research.

Comment

There must always be an element of compromise with lenses to fit both crop and full frame cameras, particularly zooms. For example, the widest setting on the 24 - 105 mm would be equivalent to about 38 mm on a crop body and I should think most people would be looking for something wider for e.g. landscapes and interiors. It would be rather an expensive purchase unless you were sure you intend to go full frame in future.
                        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I have the 24-105 on my 7D II, a great lens and quite wide enough for some landscape work but of course I do also have a 10-22 when I need to go wider. A good compromise would be the EF-S 15-85 which is a bit wider than the standard kit lens and also a bit more reach

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                            There must always be an element of compromise with lenses to fit both crop and full frame cameras, particularly zooms. For example, the widest setting on the 24 - 105 mm would be equivalent to about 38 mm on a crop body and I should think most people would be looking for something wider for e.g. landscapes and interiors. It would be rather an expensive purchase unless you were sure you intend to go full frame in future.
                            Appreciate your advice Richard.

Comment

Working...
                            X