CANON 70-200mm IS 2.8 mK II Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CANON 70-200mm IS 2.8 mK II Lens

I am looking at getting this lens, it is one i have been going to but never got round to it.
    Only being a keen - AM- i think the price beteewn 1k seems a lot ok the mkII as IS but seems
    a big hike in price. As anyone used or can tell the quality from mkI from the mkII lens in the
    images quality . I think what i am saying is the mkII worth the extra £1k.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
    Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
    Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Re: CANON 70-200mm IS 2.8 mK II Lens

I have the MK1 70 - 200mm L f2.8 and I have tried the MKII with a view to buying it. I had always considered the MKI a stunning performer for a zoom lens, but still tried a MKII with a view to buying one.

I played around with it for nearly a week and I could notice the difference in quality, but not at normal screen size. The other main difference is the extra 2 stops of IS, but at the high shutter speeds I use, IS is of no benefit to me.

For me, the differences weren't enough to tempt me to change.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

I have the MKI 70-200mm L f2.8 IS version and love it, it's a superb lens. I've never tried the mkII and after Colin's comments probably never will. Unless I have to replace it of course

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        Unless I have to replace it of course

Hmmm, there's a thought! Pity if I got burgled, new for old policy at WHE rates:

70 - 200mm MKII f2.8
        300mm MKII f2.8
        500mm MKII f4
        1.4x MKIII
        2.0x MKIII

That little lot is just shy of £20,000. Add another £10,000 for an 800mm and that should sort me out quite nicely.

Hmmm, knowing my luck they would find some old stock ................. best postpone the burglary for a few months.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Well over the years I have had all the canon 70-200's, the 2.8Lis is a very good lens and very sharp but sold mine last year, last month I got the mk2 and to me it is well worth the cost to me, it is a lot sharper @f2.8 and I was shocket at its performance with the 2X extender on, unlike the experiance I had with the mk1 and 2X the mk2 produces very good results with it.

Comment

To (nearly) plagiarise Glenn "I have the MK II 70-200mm L f2.8 IS version and love it, it's a superb lens."

It fixes almost all the reasons (other than weight, cost and being in-your-face) I didn't buy the earlier ones and I have been delighted (well, once I got the second one, which didn't have the focusing problem the first one did - I tried the shop's demo copy and that was fine too, so I just got unlucky). I think it's noticeably sharper at 2.8 than the earlier ones (which is important to me, as I use it instead of any of the fast primes in its focal length to get narrow DoF) and the stabiliser is very good. I even got a usable pic hand-held at 0.4 sec yesterday (which I only did to get a feel for the light, but got a pic out of it).

John

Comment

I have the Mk. II version but only because I bought it for £1500 at EOS Classifieds and got a good proce for my Mk. I. I haven't had the opportunity to give it a good workout yet but it seems to feel better and has better protection and, as has been said already, a couple of extra stops available.
              Bob Turner
              Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
                I have the Mk. II version but only because I bought it for £1500 at EOS Classifieds and got a good proce for my Mk. I. I haven't had the opportunity to give it a good workout yet but it seems to feel better and has better protection and, as has been said already, a couple of extra stops available.
                It would be nice to buy for that price ,sounds like right place at right time for you.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Working...
                X