'Particles Inside' a lens OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Particles Inside' a lens OK?

I'm looking for a 16-35 f2.8 L lens and there are a lot out there so I can afford to be choosy but this comment by a trade seller I found curious:

"Cosmetic Condition = 9/10 (Very Good, with Very Minor Marks. Has particles inside, which have zero effect on images)"

Is it acceptable to have "particles inside" and would their presence still permit a lens to be rated 9/10?

Cheers,
    John

Re: 'Particles Inside' a lens OK?

If it's dust, yes, most lenses will collect dust at some point, if it's fungus, I'd carry on looking, it often doesn't show in photos, except on grey colours.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

As a rule I never buy any lens which has got dust,particles or anything like that. They have always been in MINT condition. You might pay a bit more for it but it is worth it. My only really second hand lens is the marmite 17-40mm lens bought in mint condition and kept and used that way.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        I'm looking for a 16-35 f2.8 L lens and there are a lot out there so I can afford to be choosy but this comment by a trade seller I found curious:

"Cosmetic Condition = 9/10 (Very Good, with Very Minor Marks. Has particles inside, which have zero effect on images)"

Is it acceptable to have "particles inside" and would their presence still permit a lens to be rated 9/10?

Cheers,
        John
        The particles will not effect the image ( perhaps a very slight drop in contrast at the most). In fact, many high resolution optical instruments have quite large objects in the optical path and function very well - the Hubble space telescope is such an example.If the lens is for sale with a dealer they often allow you to purchase and if returned within one week you get a full refund. Why not ask?
        James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Wex photographic say "The optics of the lens show dust throughout although this will not affect images in any way." for ptactically every used lens they sell, as do other sellers. Search hard enough and you'll probably be able to find at least one or two dust particles in any lens, including ones you already own, they have zero effect. Dealers say this to cover themselves, in case they say "mint" and someone finds a tiny bit of dust and complains.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks folks that's set my mind at rest

Cheers,
            John

Comment

On another forum the other week the same question was asked and some pics were posted as examples ,that looked fine ,it turns out the front element of the lens that took them was smashed to smithereens

Comment

Have seen something similar in the past from a company that does lens rentals. Front element with lots of damage and unless shooting into the light it was hard to tell from the images.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Worth a read:

I think the only times you'll notice dust are (i) when it's on the sensor and (ii) big lumps on the front of the lens can show in bokeh balls (rain is a good candidate here).

Comment

I'm selling my 16-35mm f/2.8 II if you are interested. Immaculate condition and no particles that I know of!

Comment

Working...
                    X