Canon 50d - want new lens....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 50d - want new lens....

Have a 50D and looking at buying an "everyday" lens - any information on the Canon EF-S 18-200mm IS appreciated
    Thanks

Re: Canon 50d - want new lens....

Here are a couple of reviews, although do take them with a pinch of salt...
    Is the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

Actually they seem quite positive.

You can also play here, but again don't take it too seriously...
    View the image quality delivered by the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens using ISO 12233 Resolution Chart lab test results. Compare the image quality of this lens with other lenses.

(Mouse-over to see the one on the right)

What kinds of photography do you want to do and what sort of budget do you have?

John

Comment

Without waiting for the answers to John's questions, most people on here would consider the 24 - 105mm f4 L IS to be Canon's best walkabout lens.

It doesn't have the range of the 18 -200mm and it is more expensive, but it is a high quality L lens that you would probably keep for life, regardless whether you stayed with cropped bodies, or went to full frame bodies.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Can't really argue with that - when my main camera was an x0D one I used the 24-105 f4 as my walk-about lens, but remember it won't go at all wide (38mm equiv).

John

Comment

.... but it does do a short telephoto.

I find myself taking a lot of pictures at 50mm with the 24-105 on the 50d
          ef-r

Comment

The 24-105mm is next on my list..........................................I just got to find the right moment to tell the wife!
            Regards Eddie.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Edd1e View Post
              The 24-105mm is next on my list..........................................I just got to find the right moment to tell the wife!
              Don't bother telling the wife. Just get it and if she asks just say that you've had it for ages....

Comment

I know you're asking about the Canon 18-200 (and I suspect it is better than the Tamron), but I had the Tamron 18-200 as my walkabout lens for a number of years when I had a 300D.

I didn't think it was a bad lens on the 300D, but... when I upgraded to the 50D, it was easy to see how soft the lens was, especially at the 200mm end of the zoom. I upgraded it to the 24-105 mentioned in earlier posts. The difference is VERY noticeable, and I haven't regretted the upgrade for a minute.

I haven't really missed the extra reach of the 200mm (I tend to carry around the 70-300 IS, which is very light and surprisingly good, if I think I might need the extra reach), and on the odd few occasions I really needed the 18mm end, I took 2 or more shots at 24mm and stitched them together.

Comment

Originally posted by Edd1e View Post
                  Don't tell her.

If she ever does notice, here is your response:

"Darling, this lens is so old that they have recently brought out a replacement and I was meaning to talk to you about trading this one in."

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    Don't tell her.

If she ever does notice, here is your response:

"Darling, this lens is so old that they have recently brought out a replacement and I was meaning to talk to you about trading this one in."

Colin
                    Sounds like you are talking from experience!
                    Regards Eddie.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X