Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70-300 usm

I'm interested in the 70-300 usm as an alternative buy to the 70-200 f4L
    Charts indicate it's not as Sharp as the 70-200 but its close to the 24-105 in sharpness so it looks like a good buy.
    can anyone offer comments, have you used one?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: 70-300 usm

I have, in the back of my mind, an issue with this lens a few years ago. IIRC, when you used them with the camera held vertically (i.e. "portrait" mode), they were "soft".

I owned one at the time but can honestly say I never had a problem. I believe Canon did a free repair if you sent them back.

As I say - this was a few years ago, so I imagine there are no major issues with them now.

I had some great shots with mine and only sold it to embark on the "L" path to insanity and bankruptcy

As to them being as sharp as a 24-105???? I never did a comparison.
    “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
    "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
    "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
    "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

The 70-300 L lens or the non L. I've heard that the non L lens, disortion has between de 200 and the 300. I have the 70-200 f/4L USM, I like it very much. Very nice lens, good IQ. You need some practise to hold de lens with camera, because it has no IS. It is great, it looks big, but it is no so heavy.
      With kind regards,
      Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

It's a perfectly adequate lens for a first telephoto zoom, but it does need good light and fast shutter speeds to perform.

Colin
        Colin

Comment

On the test charts (which should always be taken with a pinch of salt, as real-life stuff tends to photograph much more nicely) the 70-200 f4 + 1.4x looks a clear winner over the 70-300 (non-L):
          View the image quality delivered by the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens using ISO 12233 Resolution Chart lab test results. Compare the image quality of this lens with other lenses.

View the image quality delivered by the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens using ISO 12233 Resolution Chart lab test results. Compare the image quality of this lens with other lenses.

Mouse-over to see 70-200, first is IS 70-200, 2nd non-IS, you can change the camera to 40D for 1.6 crop results:

John

Comment

thanks for your comments, the photozone test charts are all I've seen at present I will check your links.
            For the sake of £50 I guess its best to go with the L. But that extra 100mm and IS is tempting.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Brian,
              This was taken with a 70-300 IS USM with a focal length of 70mm at f/8 and shutter speed of 1/1500

Vulture-HCT-April-2010 by djguk47, on Flickr

and this one at f/5.6 shutter speed 1/1000 and focal length of 300mm

Grey-Owl-HCT-April-2010 by djguk47, on Flickr

David
              Last edited by djguk47; 01-10-2010, 00:22.
              David

Comment

Nicely done David.

Good examples of how it works in good light with high shutter speeds. Now the real question is how well does it perform compared to your 100 - 400mm?

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                  Nicely done David.

.......... Now the real question is how well does it perform compared to your 100 - 400mm?

Colin
                  Now that is an unfair question....

The thing I do like about the 70-300 though is that it is obviously smaller than the 100-400 which means in some places it is not as obtrusive and can still produce good shots in good light, has good reach and is significantly less cost.
                  But knowing what I know now after 12 months of "hard work" I think the 70-200 with an extender is what I would go for rather than the 70-300.

The 100-400 is a dream though....

David
                  David

Comment

He, he. It was a trick question!

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Great shots David, thanks for sharing these.

Colin - Ref - 70-300 does need good light....does the 70-200L not need good light?
                      70-300 has IS which I would probably not shell out the extra for on the 70-200L
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

The 70 - 200mm performs well in all conditions and it doesn't seem to matter which version. Either the f4 or the f2.8, with or without IS.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Working...
                        X