Walkabout Prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walkabout Prime

On holiday recently, I spent the day with my 85 1.8 on my camera; loved the speed and sharpness, but it was too long. Any suggestions for a walkabout prime on a crop body?
    40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Re: Walkabout Prime

What about a 50mm?
    Regards Eddie.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Or even a 35mm f2
      ef-r

Comment

IMO - a single prime is never going to satisfy the requirement for a general all-round walk-about lens!

Whichever is chosen, there will inevitably be multiple scenarios when it's too short or too long!

If I HAD to choose a single lens for a crop-sensor body, I would be tempted by the 24mm f/1.4L. That's the closest you will get to a 'standard' 35mm Field-of-View' ! It's expensive, so budget will also clearly play a part in any recommendation or final selection... Here's a review of that lens...
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

IMO - a single prime is never going to satisfy the requirement for a general all-round walk-about lens!
          We used to manage it in the days of film.

You bought a new camera and it came with a 50mm f1.8 as standard, or you could pay extra to upgrade to a 50mm f1.4. To that, you added a 28mm wide angle and a 70 - 210mm zoom. Throw in a flash gun, tripod and a full set of Cokin Fliters and that was most peoples camera kit.

The walkabout lens was the 50mm. We all thought wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get a lens that would take you from 28mm all the way up to 70mm, but that was just a pipe dream at the time and we just got on with our 50mm thinking ..................... one day!

Well, we may not be living on the moon, or have jet-packs for personal transportation, but I do have my 24 - 70mm as a walkabout lens. Failing that, I would probably use a 35mm on a 1.6 and 1.3 crop sensor and 50mm on a full frame.

Colin
          Last edited by colin C; 04-10-2010, 12:11.
          Colin

Comment

Yes, we did 'use to manage' but mostly with a great deal of 'hardship' on many, many fronts......... fortunately, for most things in life today, we no longer need to

And, I agree, 50mm was indeed the 'standard lens'; but it was also always too long - for me anyway - in most 'general' scenes... that's why I always preferred a 35mm as a standard!

As I said,
            Just as well we're not all the same
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I probably need to add an explanation behind the question. I have the 17 -85 which has good range, but isn't the greatest lens. I only use it when we go on holiday once a year; so to upgrade to a 17 - 55 2.8 or 24 - 70 2.8 it is hard to justify the cost. Where as a good prime can be had for alot less. I have 2 bodies so can have my 70 -300 on the second body for range. From the replies a 35 sounds the way to go. Thanks
              40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post

You bought a new camera and it came with a 50mm f1.8 as standard, or you could pay extra to upgrade to a 50mm f1.4. To that, you added a 28mm wide angle and a 70 - 210mm zoom. Throw in a flash gun, tripod and a full set of Cokin Fliters and that was most peoples camera kit.

The walkabout lens was the 50mm. We all thought wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get a lens that would take you from 28mm all the way up to 70mm, but that was just a pipe dream at the time and we just got on with our 50mm thinking ..................... one day!

Well, we may not be living on the moon, or have jet-packs for personal transportation, but I do have my 24 - 70mm as a walkabout lens. Failing that, I would probably use a 35mm on a 1.6 and 1.3 crop sensor and 50mm on a full frame.

Colin
                Colin you must have looked in my old film gadget bag, that is exactly what I have even the upgrade to f1.4. on the 50mm, I did have screw in cable release though

Raymon

Comment

Working...
                X