wedding lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wedding lens

need some advice regarding upcoming wedding event that i will be shooting. got an eos 450d and before I was even asked to do it, I was gonna buy Canon 10-22 mm as I'm more than landscape enthusiast and wide angle lover. I'm worried now because if I'm gonna upgrade from kit lens to something pricey, I'd really like to stick with this lens. I think shots in the church at 10mm would be something spectacular. Can I use it normal at 17 mm and closer? I know this is probably not the best choice for wedding lens but if I ended up with different glass, I will not be able to buy 10-22 mm for quite some time. And probably this is the only wedding I will be shooting.
    Has anyone tried this lens at this kind of event? Any suggestion on different lens just in case?

Re: wedding lens

Why don't you hire a lens for the wedding and buy what you want? IMHO the one you want to buy won't be suitable. I find that most of my wedding shots are taken between 17 and 80 and the rest out to 200 never anything as wide as you are suggesting, these are all on a crop sensor. Maybe hire the 24-105 and use your new lens if you need to go wider? If you are new to wedding photography and are being paid to shoot the wedding read some of the threads about wedding photography it is not something to be undertaken lightly.
    --
    Colin
    http://fotos-espana.com
    http://macameraclub.com
    http://turnspain.com

Comment

Creasy,
      Try Lenses for Hire http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/
      I have used them and they are very good. Give them a ring a have a talk to them.

David
      David

Comment

At the wedding I took in July I only used the 24-105 on the 5d

Perhaps for the 1.6crop a 17-40 might work?
        ef-r

Comment

I have the 10-22 and use it on a 50D, same crop size sensor as you have.

For my daughter's wedding in Sept. I took this lens along but found that I did not use it I really only used the 17-85 kit lens. The 10-22 was too wide and introduced too much distortion, yes I did get some shots of the buildings but that was all and they were taken before hand in my case.

I think as people have said look at hiring a 24-105 or I think the 24-70 may be a better lens being an F2.8 lens which may be even better for the DOF and ease of use if the light is not too good.

Comment

thanks guys for advice. hiring a lens is a good option I guess. I have used Lensesforhire.co.uk before. What do you think of 17-55 mm f2.8 USM on 450D. Very good light for shooting in church for instance, but I wonder if 55mm would be enough. I've used this lens before and was very pleased with them.
            I'm not a pro and I'm not being paid for this wedding. It's just a favour for someone. But it's clear I'd like to give what's best.

Comment

I'm not a pro and I'm not being paid for this wedding.
              Hi Creasy, It Looks like you're going to be shelling out your own money to shoot this wedding.
              Out of your comfort zone as you said, and out of pocket too, plus you won't get to enjoy the wedding much, is it a close friend ?

Maybe you should get the 10-22 you want, and offer to do some wide interior shots, and get another friend to do the other stuff.

I'm just trying to think of a good longer term solution for you, I'm not saying you couldn't pull it off

Trev

Comment

actually it's brother in law :) so pretty close.
                I'm gonna get 10-22 mm anyway and hiring additional lens it's not that expensive, let's say for a week (around 60 quid for 17-55 f2.8 from lensesforhire.co.uk)
                any other suggestions for a crop sensor wedding lens?

Comment

Hi Creasy,

In my very humble opinion I don't think 55 is long enough even on a Crop sensor, you will be a bit too close to get really good candid shots, better stood a little further away to make sure the subject is not really aware of you.

And another thing!!!!....I just happen to have the perfect lens for you, not too expensive so you should still be able to soon get your landscape lens as well, I have a Canon 17 - 85mm Image Stabilised lens for sale, approx 6 month old, Mint conditioin, complete with Hoya UV Filter, Hood and Soft Lens Bag......£200. They are often making quite a bit over £200 on Ebay even for 2 year old models!!! and of course you don't know who you are buying from!!

I am not sure if there is a rule against this sort of post, hope not and apologies to all if there is.

Regards Paul

Comment

I did a wedding (by request) in Feb and used a 10-24 Tamron and Canon 35mm f2, I really shouldn't have used the 10-24 for some of the shots - too much distortion - the 35mm was great though.
                    So I would say be cautious - because changing lenses can be a bind and a real issue if you find you have the wrong one on at anytime.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I am "graduating" to wedding photography on 20th Nov; requested to take some photos in church on behalf of the bride's party. I will look up all the advice given previously and pick the right lens for the occasion. I have got the 10-20mm Sigma,18mm-55mm IS, 28mm-105 & the nifty fifty; I don't think I will use a longer lens than these. Anything else I will hire from the hire shop mentioned above. Of course I will be using the flash Canon 430EX and the diffuser, probably in the bounce mode?
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                      X