lenses form very cold to warm - condensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lenses form very cold to warm - condensation

Hi just wondering what you guys do to stop your lenses misting up when you come in from the very cold outdoors to a warm house.
    I leave mine in my bag in a cooler part of the house for a few hours - any better suggestions ?

Trev

Re: lenses form very cold to warm - condensation

Thats what I did the other night, it was -1 and after I got home I left my bag in the porch. I can't think of any better way, but like you Trev I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

The only thing I have done to help aviod too much moisture is keep a few sachets of "silica gel" in the bag which can be aired every month or so on top of a radiatior, otherwise like you guys, I would like to hear of other solutions.

Ray

Comment

I don't go out when it's cold. Easy question
        Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

It wont be a problem until we turn the heating on :)
          ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
            I don't go out when it's cold. Easy question
            LOL that would work, but say it was cold and you had a brand new 7D you wanted to try outdoors.

Trev

Comment

You need to get the camera into an airtight bag with the air removed. Bring it indoors and there won't be any air to cause any condensation, Once the camera heats up you can remove from the bag.

I had that issue when I spent 3 days in Thailand a few years ago - opposite way around. Going from very hot outside to cool air con did the same thing Sealed bag with air removed helped.
              5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

I Use a dry bag, with some Silica Gel (dried on a regular basis) in it. It happened yesterday after a walk in Kendal ... camera quickly in dry bag as I popped into Costa after leading 17 around the local scars. Wow what views of The Lakes, Howgills etc from 'The Mushroom' on a cold clear day with some snow on the ground).

Comment

Hi Trev;

Dry-bags are the only remedy I know; but even then, if the cold > warm is extreme, it can still take an age to warm-up & dry-out.

If anybody has that miracle cure; they'll make a fortune!
                  I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                  Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Working...
                  X