Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS lens

Hello

I got my 60D Canon with a 18-55mm lens but now I want to have 18-135mm lens it cost more then the 55-250mm but on the web the 18-135mm lens have alot of bad reviews about this new lens and I don't want to buy something that the IQ is bad, the 55-250mm had good reviews, I just don't want to waste my money on a zoom len that I will not use every day that's is why I would like to ask this forum members, and I am not into this far far away bird watch I will just be taking holiday and landscape shots.

But I would like to have just one lens to do all my work but I am now confused on what lens to buy,

Thank you for your time in read this.
    Last edited by Michael.K; 06-01-2011, 13:32.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Re: Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS lens

I don't think any one can have just one lens for everything, although it is possible to buy say a Tamron which covers from 18mm-250mm. But then the IQ suffers. I am NOT an expert and I am sure other experienced members will chip in but I think one should have a wide angle zoom,a standard zoom and a long lens zoom. I prefer the zooms as they are very convenient. As for the 55-250mm IS lens, I have one of those and am very happy with it. The images are quite sharp, reasonably priced, and quite light for a travelling purposes.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 06-01-2011, 22:32.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hello Canon EOS;

Your summary for the 18-135 v 55-250 is correct! The 55-250 is the better lens overall, and, together with your 18-55 will give you a good range.

As Nathaniel says; it's almost impossible to have one lens do everything you need. The two-lens combination of 18-55 & 55-250 will do most of what you are likely to want from your description!

I don't think that you will get a better lens than the 55-250 for the money; but if you can find some more, the 'best' lenses to compliment your 60D for general holiday & landscape shots might include;
      - 10-22 - to give you 'true' wide-angle on the crop-sensor body...
      - 17-40 f/4 - a very good lens; but has limited application on a crop-sensor body in my opinion...
      - 24-105 f/4 - a very good all-round 'walkabout' lens. My favorite!
      - 70-200 f/4 - very good lens; and, you can add a 1.4x converter to push it to 98-280 f/5.6...

Those are Canon lenses. There are alternative third-party lenses, and there are, of course, more expensive & faster Canon options available; but that range of f/4 lenses will serve you very well!

Hope that helps to get you thinking!

Good luck...
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Nathaniel Ramanaden

Thank you for the quick reply to my thread, I have the 18-55mm and I love this lens because its small and light, I read that you have the 55-250mm lens, But I would like to know is what is the most lens you use on traveling? if I buy the 55-250mm do you think I would waste my money because I will not use the far far away zoom I will be taking pictures of old buildings and landscape with my wife in it and I will not want my backgounds be blur in the picture with this lens.

Thanks for the info.

@Cannon-Fodder

I am new to all this so what do they mean when a lens have 15-85 , 18-55, 18-135, 18-200 and so on, now do the first number of the lens mean it's a wide lens? so a zoom will start at 55? so do that mean I have to stand far away when taking a picture of an old history building? so why do a 18-135mm lens cost more then the 55-250mm IS so if the 55-250 IS is better wouldn't it cost more? could a 18-135 be a 'walkabout' lens? or a 55-250!

Sorry I don't understand the f/5.6, f/4, and what they mean.

The info you have given me is useful on the lens.
        Last edited by Michael.K; 06-01-2011, 14:04.

Comment

Hello CanonEOS;

Yes; the smaller the 'zoom-number' of the lens, the wider the angle. Equally, the bigger the number, the narrower the angle...

55mm is not really a long zoom; but, yes, in general, you would need to stand further away from a building than you would if you were using 18mm - but there are many other factors you need to consider... At 18mm there will be bigger distortion, there will be much greater convergence of parrallel lines etc.

The 18-135 lens is 'faster' than the 55-250 at f/3.5 v f/4 at the bottom end; it has a greater zoom factor of 7.5x against 5x for the 55-250; it's a newer lens... but that doesn't make it a better lens!

Canon don't always get it right all of the time! I don't think you would be dissapointed with the 55-250...

Cheers...
          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Canon-Fodder

If I was to buy 18-135mm I think I would waste my 18-55 lens and I don't want to do that, I think the 55-250 lens is nice and big but I want to buy a flower hood for it, do the lens turn at the end like 18-55 do when on AF? I have seen on some websites that the 18-55mm can have a flower hood but many say not to buy it why I think it look cool, but looking cool might waste my money.

What do you think about the body grip BD-E9 for the Canon do you think it worth it or not?

Comment

He he; it's always good to look cool... but if it doesn't do the job; it's a waste of money!

The recommended hood for the 55-250 is the ET-60. This is a 'normal' 'tunnel' hood.

The recommended hood for the 18-55 is the EW-60C which is also a 'normal' but very short tunnel hood.

You can certainly buy a 'petal' hood for the 18-55 (it helps prevent vignetting a bit with the wide-angle), but I don't think there's a petal option for the 55-250... Somebody else may prove me wrong

I don't use a grip on my 40D (and have never had one on any of my older bodies either) so I can't help you on that score... Some users love them, others, like me, get on just as easily without one!

Cheers...

Comment

Hello CanonEOS. As a newbie on the DSLR front I can concur with Nathaniel about the 18-55 and 55-250mm lenses. I believe they are very good value, particularly the longer zoom. I think they are an ideal combination for travelling for photographers on a tight budget.
                For what they cost I don't think you can go wrong.

Deva
                EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

@Canon-Fodder

I did find a petal hood for the 55-250 on ebay @3.33 but I also learn the front mirror rotates like the 18-55 that's a shame because the 18-135 don't. but has I am on a budget I don't think the extra money for this lens is worth it after the bad reviews it got.

I don't like the EW-60C and ET-60 they don't look that great on a new Canon camera it looks like: 1 cheap, 2. ugly, The "petal" looks the part of a pro-camera not the others.

Maybe I will buy the 55-250mm IS lens later with a patel hood.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Hello Canon EOS, I think you will be very happy with the 55-250 IS lens as it does produce very sharp images. I have a normal tunnel lenshood for this lens which is fine. I don't think one should think about cosmetics re lens hoods etc in photography. what matters is the end result- the photos. In saying this I am often reminded of a "poser" who would show off his designer swimming trunks and torso body by walking around the swimming pool in one of our Spanish holidays, but he could never swim. We, the holiday makers never found him in the swimming pool but his dressing up was to attract the young pretty girls on holiday!! When I go away on holidays I take with me a wide angle- 10-20mm, a standard lens 17mm-50mm and the 55-250mm IS. Now that I have got a 24-105mm Canon L lens, I would take this as my standard and walk about.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hello Nathaniel

he he I understand what you mean about the "poser", maybe I will leave the hood, and as you said it's all about the photos not cosmetics, when I have more time this winter holiday I will look around for the EF-S 55-250mm IS lens and get the best price in China, As I live and work here, the lens would cost me 1500RMB that's 146.50 UK pound in shop price. and when the summer comes I take pictures then I will maybe write my own review on both lens. And show some pictures.

Thanks again
                      Last edited by Michael.K; 07-01-2011, 04:27.

Comment

Originally posted by CanonEOS View Post
                        Hello Nathaniel

he he I understand what you mean about the "poser", maybe I will leave the hood, and as you said it's all about the photos not cosmetics, when I have more time this winter holiday I will look around for the EF-S 55-250mm IS lens and get the best price in China, As I live and work here, the lens would cost me 1500RMB that's 146.50 UK pound in shop price. and when the summer comes I take pictures then I will maybe write my own review on both lens. And show some pictures.

Thanks again
                        The UK price for this lens is approx £149. I am sure you will be able to buy it much cheaper in China or even Hong kong if you have access to shops over there. Best of luck and do post your pics when you are ready. Always rremember that it is the photograph that really counts and NOT the equipment although good enquipment go a long way to" assist" in the end result plus the most important item is the PERSON who takes the photograph.
                        Last edited by Nathaniel; 07-01-2011, 10:29.

Comment

I'm glad someone else asked this question. I have the same kit lenses for my 550d and will now stick with them.
                          Great advice.

Comment

General rule for lenses is the more it does and the less it costs the less likely it is to do it well. There are exceptions, of course, but it works overall. Having the word 'Canon' on it probably adds a premium, so knock 10% off before comparing it with a third party option!

Lens hoods are generally carefully matched to the optics of the lens and I think of them as purely functional rather than how they look. In fact, I prefer the appearance without, but recognise the advantages they give to the pictures.

I'm a fan of battery grips for three reasons:
                            1) the second set of controls meaning when used in portrait layout you still hold the camera the same way.
                            2) imporvement in battery life, also means I don't have to find somewhere to carry a spare (and risk losing it) since it's already in the camera.
                            3) with heavier lenses, the centre of balance is improved.
                            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Hi Woolley

I will buy the battery grip for my 60D later when the price comes down it's to high now, but thanks for the info. now on my list of things to get first is the 55-250mm IS lens, like everyone have given me good advice 18-55 and 55-250. I don't think I will need another lens as this is only a hobby for me.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Comment

Working...
                              X