Rented Lenses UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rented Lenses UK

As i have recently upgraded my camera i am starting to notice that my Sigma 18-200mm OS lens suffers at 200mm with sharpness issues... with images viewed at full resolution.

I was wondering as i have a 70-300 mm USM IS F/4-5.6 and that has provided some amazing pictures (for my skill level) how much better can the Canon 70-300 IS L series lens be than the one i have for double the price??

I mean dont get me wrong the Canon 70-300 mm USM IS F/4-5.6 i have is a amazing lens and at £500 new it was not an impulse buy but i do find my self wondering why is the L series version so much more?? surly it cant be that much better can it??

So i thought about renting one.. among others as opposed to buying them but has anyone else actually used one of the rental sites??

thanks

Martin

Re: Rented Lenses UK

Hello Martin

I haven't actually used a rental site, but other members have and have not been disappointed. I cheat .............. I have developed a relationship with a Canon Pro dealer. During the early days, if I hired a lens off him and subsequently bought one, he would knock the hire costs off of the deal. Over the last few years, if I am unsure whether I want to buy a lens, he just gives me one for the week.

Your Sigma is an 11x zoom and anything covering that magnification range will suffer somewhere along the range. There are by it's very nature, too many compromises in the design and manufacture. For a good quality zoom, you need to be looking at 3 or 4x and if it L series, so much the better.

I have used the new 70 - 300mm L series and it is a very good lens, sharp as a button, but not as fast as I would like, so I stuck to my 70 - 200mm f2.8 and havy 300mm f2.8. I have a friend with the 70 - 300mm and he loves it. At double the price of your lens, it's not double the quality, but you will notice an significant quality jump.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Martin,
      I have used Lens 4 Hire who are based in Maidenhead. The service I received was faultless and the lens (24-105) was in imaculate condition.
      They will courier the lens to you and hire costs start the day after the lens arrives.
      Give them a try

David
      David

Comment

I've just had a look at the lens for hire site, and I must say it looks to be a very good site and system. I've even bookmarked it for future reference. I'd sort of forgotten about hiring lenses, don't know why, it's a good way to see if you'll get on with a lens, or if you only need one for a particular shoot, it'll save you loads in the long run.......

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks, glad others have used a service like this and had good results..

I think as it has been said it would be a much better / cheeper alternative to buying the £££££ pro lenses if you need a specific shot / event to get a picture of...

I cant see me getting to a stage anytime soon that i would need a pro lens but im very tempted to get one for the next show my girlfriend does on her horse and compare a L series to my 70 - 300 IS USM.

Or hire something for the week, book a few days off (when its warmer) and just head out on my bike to see what i can capture..

Just as long as i dont damage it :tongue: that could get expensive.. if you didnt opt for the insurance

Comment

Working...
          X