Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 14mm F/2.8L II USM

Hi

I am thinking of purchasing this lens as I like to take landscape pictures. The cheapest place I have seen it for sale is at 'Pro Visual Direct' at a cost of £1,449.99 + £9.99 delivery. Amazon is the next cheapest at £1,640.00.

I wondered if anyone had ever bought from Pro Visual Direct and your thoughts on them?

Many thanks

Vikki

Re: EF 14mm F/2.8L II USM

Vikki,
    Have a look at this link..... http://stores.hdewcameras.com/-strse...2.8/Detail.bok

Some of the forum members have used H Dew and said they are very good.

David
    David

Comment

Have never used but I found these 2 post that you may want to look at.

http://www.photography-forum.org/sho...-visual-Direct
      http://www.videoforums.co.uk/pimp-li...al-direct.html

Comment

Vikki, just out of interest which camera will it be used with?

Comment

Thanks for those. It's going on my 500D, which I know is not FF, bit I'm planning on buying the 5D Mark 3 (if it appears this year).

Do you think the lens is worth it's price tag?

Comment

Originally posted by Vikki View Post
            I'm planning on buying the 5D Mark 3 (if it appears this year).
            I don't take much notice of rumours, but indications are for an announcement 4th quarter of 2011, with general availablity March 2012.

Would you want to wait that long?

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Not that long no! I thought it would be sometime this year. I might have to look at a 5 Mark II then.....

Thanks

Comment

I have a 14mm II (on a 5DmkII) and I think it's super-creative, although not quite as sharp in the corners at the slrgear test suggests (not that it's bad, just not pin-sharp). It's also interesting to see the distortion and CA DXO processing takes out. Using a Ultra Wide Angle (UWA) lens for landscapes often just makes big empty spaces, so finding some foreground detail is usually important. (Although I have occasionally been known to do instant panoramas by cropping a 1000 pixel vertical section from a pic.)

For the money I'd look at what people have been doing with it to see if it will suit you.

I can't predict when the 5DmkIII will be along, as there still aren't any strong competitors for it and I suspect the main mover for an update will be adding DIGIC 5 to improve the video against the Panasonic GH2, which eats its lunch on video (not that I care much, as I rarely do video).

John

Comment

That will be wide on a 500D - ultra wide on the 5Dx
                  ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by Vikki View Post
                    Thanks for those. It's going on my 500D, which I know is not FF, bit I'm planning on buying the 5D Mark 3 (if it appears this year).

Do you think the lens is worth it's price tag?
                    I can't say if it is but from what I have read it's an excellent lens and I believe the IQ is superb. As for a 5D MKIII this year, who knows but Canon, and even if they did release one it would have to knock the socks of the mkII for me to upgrade.

The one thing I have found since I started using FF for my landscape work is that I very rarely need to go lower than 24mm which meant the 17-40 I had never got a look in, so much so that it was part ex just before xmas.

One thing you could do to see if the lens is right for your style of landscape photography is to rent it for a week or 2 before you spend all that cash

Comment

HDEW Cameras sell 'Grey Imports' - do you think the reduction in price is worth buying from them?

Comment

I think you will find that they sell "white box" lenses which are lenses taken of a UK Camera when the body only is sold.
                        A large number of very reputable camera suppliers also do this.

You could try Kerso who you will find on eBay. Kerso also has a good name as a supplier. He ships from the US to Scotland. Many forum members have used him and are happy with the goods, service and price he provides.

David
                        David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                          I think you will find that they sell "white box" lenses which are lenses taken of a UK Camera when the body only is sold.

David
                          I dont think the 14mm 2.8 is offered as a kit lens.

Grey Import is a term usually associated with goods supplied through a non UK distributor - perhaps in this case from Hong Kong. Difficulty with that is that the manufacturers warrantee often applies to the distributors country. I dont know if that applies to L lens.

Brian
                          ef-r

Comment

I bought a white box 24-105 F4 a few years ago from a reputable dealer.
                            I didn't get a warranty card like you get when you buy a lens separately. I assume the warranty card stays with the camera body.
                            I'm not sure what the implications of this is are, if any.
                            Trev

Comment

Lens that come in the kit and separated are usually referred to as White Box lens. If it is a genuine UK lens with a UK reciept then the UK warrantee is honoured
                              ef-r

Comment

Working...
                              X