70-300 Zooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

70-300 Zooms

A fellow rambler was asking about zooms ... in particular one with a range of 70-300 as he's seen the DO version. I think he was taken by its 'small' size.

Now the reviews for the new 70-300 L suggest it is very good, but what about the DO version? I've read a few reviews and it doesn't seem to get a very good report. Anyone any real experience of using a 70-300 DO.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 70-300 Zooms

I tried one and didn't buy it. A friend owned one and I did try it a couple of times and it didn't change my view of it. He traded it in for the new 70 - 300mm L series and is delighted with the new L series lens.

I could probably summarize the DO with: "Small for it's size."

It's not a bad lens by any means, but neither is it particularly good and for that sort of money, it should nearly be up to L series standards. If your rambler friend is looking for small, convenient and good quality results, look at the EFS 55 - 250mm - I haven't known anyone that has used it to say a bad word against it, in fact they all seem delighted with it and as a bonus, it is rather inexpensive.

Colin
    Last edited by colin C; 14-01-2011, 08:42.
    Colin

Comment

I have one and it isn't as sharp as I'd like above 200mm, but it is very good on CA (colour fringing) and I really like the way it renders the out-of-focus stuff. It's more for when you don't want to carry anything bigger and you'd like to have a long option. I bought DXO (raw processing software) over Christmas, and that supports it and does seem to make a worthwhile improvements to the images. I don't think it's up with the 70-300L though (but as I have 5 ways to get to about 300mm already I can't see me getting another one just yet). If you and/or Colin PM me an e-mail address I'll send you a few of pictures I took last time I was contemplating trading it in (and decided it was staying) in case it helps.

Oh, and I've always thought the stabiliser was particularly good, even though it has no special claims for high performance.

Edit - I think it's better than the 55-250 away from the centre though (mouse-over for 55-250):
      View the image quality delivered by the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Lens using ISO 12233 Resolution Chart lab test results. Compare the image quality of this lens with other lenses.

Really not better on value-for-money though!

John
      Last edited by DrJon; 14-01-2011, 09:48.

Comment

Thanks Colin & John. I thought that might be the case.

To complete the tale. For the last few months I've been taking my 40D with 17-40 out rambling (rather than the G10 which whilst a fine camera doesn't like dull). And this chap (who isn't a member of my club ... but seems to turn up where we are now and then has a brief chat with me and vanishes !) with his PnS showed an interest in my kit. He apparently had a look in camera shop and noticed the DO lens (Don't think I've ever seen a 70-300 in the flesh ... I have only handled a 400 DO at a Pro Event). So I was a little surprised. To Be Honest I think he's better off with (if he really does want interchangeable lenses) one of the Four Thirds format ‘mini’ EVIL cameras. I don’t normally point people away from Canon unless I really don’t think they will get the most out of it. Other than that a G12 or (Panasonic LX5).

Comment

I know someone who got one but had problems between 200mm & 300mm range foucussing and took it back full refund.
          He bought the 70-300mm F4.5 5. IS USM lens instead this was 18 month back.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
          Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
          Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

A friend of mine has a EFS 55 - 250mm - when I was selling my 70-200 F4L he asked me to call by and let him see it as he was thinking of upgrading.
            After about an hour of snapping then looking at the images on his MAC monitor for a while.
            He declared he couldn't see the the difference. When I pointed out some purple fringing on a 55 250mm image in a single shot he admitted there was some difference, but not a few 100 quid's worth of difference.

I came away thinking the efs 55-250 was very impressive for the money.
            I managed to sell my 70-200 a week later.

Trev

Comment

Now the 70-200 f4L is selling second hand for under £400 it must be a close call whether not to go that route
              ef-r

Comment

Not sure if the OP wants to go down the used lens route.

Now the 70-200 f4L is selling second hand for under £400
                I sold mine for 450 cash on the nose, mint, boxed all original bits, genuine light use and loving care - I don't think I paid much more than that brand new.
                You never know what your buying with used lenses, grey imports, 3rd or 4th hand in some cases. :-)

If your'e lucky you can get real bargains, what about a used efs 55-250 ? even cheaper !

Trev
                Last edited by Trevoreast; 14-01-2011, 18:00.

Comment

All my lens were second hand - I have never had a problem as I buy from a reputable dealer with a six month warrantee.

This is the person I have bought from recently http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use...lenses/?page=2
                  Last edited by briansquibb; 14-01-2011, 18:32.
                  ef-r

Comment

Working...
                  X