Canon 15mm fisheye, problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 15mm fisheye, problem

Hi, I have a 15mm lens and the raised AF/MF slider control came away in my hand whist holding the lens and 5D MK11 body taking a photograph, the slider sits back on the lens but will keep coming away now.

Is this easily fixed and or a known fault? how rare is this never had a faulty lens before?

This has not happened on any other lense i have 100mm macro, 17-85mm, 24-105mm 17-40mm these all have the switch solid to the body.

Advice please

many thanks

Re: Canon 15mm fisheye, problem

Welcome Carsassy

I have never heard of this problem before, so it looks like there are two options:

* The sensible one would be to send it to a Canon approved repair facility.

* As it is such a minor problem, if you are feeeling brave, I would apply a spot of Cyanoacrylate adhesive (superglue) to the moveable tab that the switch sits on, apply some pressure for 30 seconds and see if that does the trick. When I mentioned a spot, I really do mean the tiniest of spots, applied with a sewing needle. If you apply too much, excess could cause further problems.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Hi Colin,

I have considered a canon repair, but i have had friends who returned lens's and they had more problems on return than they started with. This seems just a cosmetic issue i was not sure.

I could not see how canon applied it in the first place nothing has broken, so i think it was held with adhesive in the first place.

I have colleges at work of your pedigree so i will get them to confirm your diagnosis (I am such a coward and value my kit)

many thanks for your help, off out to look for a waxwing in the cambridgeshire countryside, they have just arrived,

susan

Comment

Originally posted by carsassy View Post
        (I am such a coward and value my kit) ...................

off out to look for a waxwing in the cambridgeshire countryside, they have just arrived,

Nothing wrong with that, a master craftsman always looks after their tools.

Waxwings? You are fortunate - all I have at the moments are LBJ's (Little brown jobbees).

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Working...
        X