Canon 17-40mm lens suplus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 17-40mm lens suplus?

hi guys, while in new york last week I popped into B&H and bought myself a Canon 10-22mm lens. I found it to be very useful while I was there. In fact I used it pretty much the whole time I was there, with the exception being while I was on the water taxi, I used my 24-105mm for the IS. Now my question is, I have a 17-40mm lens, and now think I don't need it. Should I move the 17-40mm on or keep it? I don't think I'll be upgrading my camera anytime soon, I think lol.

John

Re: Canon 17-40mm lens suplus?

I had a 10-22 lens earlier, when I used the 20D and it performed very nice indeed. I would have thought that you could let the 17-40 go, IF you do not have plans for a camera not compatible with the EF-S mount :-)
    Canon 5D Mk2 with EF 24mm/1.4, EF50mm/1.2L, EF100mm/2.8 LIS, EF70-200mm/2.8 LIS and 1.4 extender and EF 12 & 25 extension tubes, eh... and a EX 550 flash I hardly ever use..

Comment

If you are staying with a 1.6 crop body, it is an extra lens you don't really need.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Logic says sell the 10-22.

However have you compared the IQ and do you expect to be shooting much in the 10-17 range now you are back from new York?

The 17-40 will fetch a minimum £350 as a private sale secondhand
        ef-r

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I don't see me upgrading my 7d in the foreseeable future, but if I do I'll probably keep the 7d.

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          Logic says sell the 10-22.

However have you compared the IQ and do you expect to be shooting much in the 10-17 range now you are back from new York?

The 17-40 will fetch a minimum £350 as a private sale secondhand
          Brian, I don't really notice any difference in IQ between the lens' if there is any it is minimal, and I have found myself wishing I had something wider on the odd occasion. On the financial side, I paid £600 for it, and wouldn't want to make too big a loss on it. I'll just have to think about it a bit more.

John

Comment

I have a Tamron 17mm-50mm f2.8 lens, and I wonder whether I would have any benefit from changing this lens for the Canon 17mm-40mm. The IQ from the Tamron is excellent and so is the colour renditioin. Yoiur views are appreciated.

Nathaniel
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Logic says sell the 10-22
              Not on a crop body it doesn't. 10-22 performs pretty much the same function on a crop as a 17-40 does on FF.

So, if you think you may trade up to FF, keep the lens, if not it's pretty much superfluous.

Nathaniel, as you know I have the same lens, I don't see any reason to change it.
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
                Not on a crop body it doesn't. 10-22 performs pretty much the same function on a crop as a 17-40 does on FF.
                The logic was that he bought it for a specific reason, which is now finished. The 17-40 can be used instead of a kit lens on the crop body

It depends on whether he needs an ultra wide lens or not.
                ef-r

Comment

As above, I bought a 10-22 with a crop body, with the intention of going FF later. Now I've done just that, I got the 17-40, which is stunning, and you only need that angle of view on one body.
                  SO, I currently have a 10-22 to get rid of. It is superb, but I don't need it. It is all about crop vs FF and angle of view.

Comment

I don't see any need at the moment to change to a FF body and most probably I will not. So i will not change my Tamron 17-50mm. I find that it is a very good lens at a very good price. I also find that with my crop body, the central images are very sharp- don't know whether it is my mind or my eyes playing tricks.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

There a law, called The Gödel, Escher and Bear Law. It states if you intend not to buy another camera and sell a spare lens you buy a new camera …

Comment

The logic was that he bought it for a specific reason, which is now finished. The 17-40 can be used instead of a kit lens on the crop body

It depends on whether he needs an ultra wide lens or not.
                        You are right Brian, I did buy the lens because I knew I would need something really wide for new york. Now that I have the 10-22mm, I like the fact I can go as wide as the 17-40mm does on a FF.

Originally posted by nigelch View Post
                        As above, I bought a 10-22 with a crop body, with the intention of going FF later. Now I've done just that, I got the 17-40, which is stunning, and you only need that angle of view on one body.
                        SO, I currently have a 10-22 to get rid of. It is superb, but I don't need it. It is all about crop vs FF and angle of view.
                        Just a pity we don't have hindsight, we could have done a deal on the lens lol.

Originally posted by George Bear View Post
                        There a law, called The Gödel, Escher and Bear Law. It states if you intend not to buy another camera and sell a spare lens you buy a new camera …
                        That is so true George, so it looks like I will be upgrading in the future lol.

John

Comment

Yep; hindsight is always 20/20 vision!!!!

Comment

I have a 10-22 that I'm considering swapping for a 17-40L With the 5DI the main lens the 10-22 doesn't get much use now.
                            5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
                            X