Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24-70 F2.8L USM.....new lens with focusing ring "play".....normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-70 F2.8L USM.....new lens with focusing ring "play".....normal?

I posted this query in the camera section but thought I would post it on here too.

Just taken delivery of a new 24-70 F2.8L USM lens. On taking it out of the box, I noticed a bit of "play" when touching the focusing ring. It is quite noticeable and can even be heard. Is this normal and acceptable in a lens that retails at around £1000?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Rgds

Re: 24-70 F2.8L USM.....new lens with focusing ring "play".....normal?

Hi,

Do you mean around about 1/4 mm "left to right play" if you make a point of lightly jiggling the focus ring rather than using it normally ?

Mine does that, I only just noticed it, and only because I got it out to test that for you.
    There should be no up-down movement on the focus ring or the zoom ring.

Hope this helps, it's a wicked lens, I hope yours is OK

Trev

Comment

Thks Trev. Apart from the "left to right" play, there is also some slight "front to back" play. Surely this cannot be right on a £1000 lens?

Comment

there is also some slight "front to back" play
        There is a tiny little bit of play on mine as I described above, nothing else.

I’ve used mine a lot since I got it last Summer, and although I’ve treated it with every care, I haven’t gone out of my way to take extra special care of it.

I’m trying on the one hand not to cause you undue alarm, on the same score if you have a dodgy lens you need to get it back to the vendor soon as possible, Maybe you should send them an email at this point voicing your concerns, and let them know you may want it swapped out.

Surely this cannot be right on a £1000 lens?
        It is a lot of money for something your not happy with.
        There may be a tolerance range and your lens is just the extreme of that tolerance range but functions perfectly.

I have another £1000 L lens and there’s a bit of play on the mount, I’ve chosen to ignore it, as the lens works well. This might come back to hunt me if I ever try to sell it, same with you.
        Trev

Comment

Working...
        X