Polariser for EF-S 10-22mm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polariser for EF-S 10-22mm.

Can anyone tell me if I can use a normal thickness polariser on the EF-S 10-22mm.? Thanks.

Re: Polariser for EF-S 10-22mm.

Hi Alistair - welcome to the forum.

Sorry I cannot give any any direct advice, but a general point - polarisers do not always work well on wide lenses. I have tried one on my Sigma 10-20 and I got a progressive vignetting toward the edges of the picture, not due to the rim of the filter but optical geometry of wide lenses.
    Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Hell and welcome Alistair.

A normal thickness one will give some vignetting and even the much thinner Hoya Pro one's will at the very widest settings and smallest apertures.

Another unusual phenomena is that at it's widest setting, you can only get the polarising effect on a small portion of the shot, because you are getting so much sky in. It looks rather strange to have a small portion of the sky polarised and the rest fading to white.

I gave up and used square graduated neutral density filters.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Hi guys.
        Thank you for the replies and the welcome to the forum. The Pro 1 filters are very expensive so I will try a normal one and hope for the best!

Comment

I use one of the blue-box Hoya's (whichever model that is) with no noticable problems other than as described by Colin - you do have to go easy on the polarisation.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Working...
          X