Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a Canon 17-40mm L .........no wondering if I have done the right thing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a Canon 17-40mm L .........no wondering if I have done the right thing??

Hi Everyone! I just sold my 17-85mm & bought a 17-40mm L to replace it (waiting for it to arrive) but am a bit worried as it does not have IS! can anyone who owns one put my mind at rest
    Regards Eddie.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Just bought a Canon 17-40mm L .........no wondering if I have done the right thin

Eddie,

I've never owned the 17-85mm IS lens but please be assured you have purchased a right cracker of an L lens with the 17-40mm f/4. I recfently traded a 16-35mm f/2.8 L II to go back to a 17-40mm and I know that I won't regret it one little bit. Rest assured, you will enjoy this; and I've never really seen the need for IS at the wider end - I do like the IS on the 70-200mm and 300mm & 400mm telephotos.

Enjoy
    Bob Turner
    Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Re: Just bought a Canon 17-40mm L .........no wondering if I have done the right thin

IS is not needed on the 17-40 until you are shooting at less than 1/40th - and then the chances are you are more worried about the subject moving!

Here is a picture I took with the 17-40 last week - they dont come sharper than that
      ef-r

Comment

A wise investment.
        You certainly won't be disappointed - as can be seen by Brian's great image

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Here is the plate on the turret - still pretty sharp!

ef-r

Comment

Welcome to the Marmite Lens Appreciation Club

I use it in Force 7 plus gales on top of mountains ... and don't miss IS.

If you want it fully weatherproofed then get a protector filter.
            Last edited by MX5; 14-06-2011, 14:12.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all of your comments & especially to Brian for providing some very good example pictures.......................I feel much better now!
              Regards Eddie.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Edd1e View Post
                .....I feel much better now!
                That's why we (and you) are here - Good Luck with your new lens
                Bob Turner
                Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Hi Everyone! I just sold my 17-85mm & bought a 17-40mm L to replace it (waiting for it to arrive) but am a bit worried as it does not have IS! can anyone who owns one put my mind at rest
                  Hi Eddie,

I am thinking to do the same as you did. Replace the 17-85 for the 17-40 L. But I am not worried about the IS, I am more worried about the reach of the zoom. The 17-40 is going to be on my camera (550D) a 27,2mm - 64mm. Am I going to miss the 21mm at the long end.

So if you have your lens, please tell me your experience.
                  With kind regards,
                  Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

I would not normally do this, but the Classifieds ads page is closed for maintenance at present.

I have a 17-40 for sale. Its on the Classifieds - but not visible. Please PM me if interested, rather than take this thread down the wrong lines.
                    Cheers,
                    Hughbie
                    Last edited by hughbie; 14-06-2011, 17:48. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
                      Hi Eddie,

I am thinking to do the same as you did. Replace the 17-85 for the 17-40 L. But I am not worried about the IS, I am more worried about the reach of the zoom. The 17-40 is going to be on my camera (550D) a 27,2mm - 64mm. Am I going to miss the 21mm at the long end.

I would suggest that the 55-250 to get the extra reach.

The 17-40 will still be a 17-40 just like your 17-85 is a 17-85. You will lose 45mm reach by swapping the 17-85 for the 17-40, however with a 55-250 you will be that back and a lot more

I use the 17-40 as a 'standard' lens on my 5D

Brian
                      ef-r

Comment

Hi Eddie

You have definitely done the right thing.
                        I've just upgraded to one and it;s great.
                        I've just pup a new landscape post from my Cornwall trip at the beginning of the month.
                        Most of these shots are all hand held at around 1/50th sec.
                        You don't need the IS.

Enjoy when it arrives!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                          I would suggest that the 55-250 to get the extra reach.

The 17-40 will still be a 17-40 just like your 17-85 is a 17-85. You will lose 45mm reach by swapping the 17-85 for the 17-40, however with a 55-250 you will be that back and a lot more

I use the 17-40 as a 'standard' lens on my 5D

Brian
                          Oke, I do not need the 50-250mm because I have the 70-200mm f/4 L USM ;-) But thanks for you advice!
                          With kind regards,
                          Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by Fr1so View Post
                            Hi Eddie,

Well, it has arrived & my initial impression is that the reach is just fine! & like others have told me there is no need for it to have IS either!
                            Regards Eddie.

Comment

Well, it has arrived & my initial impression is that the reach is just fine! & like others have told me there is no need for it to have IS either!
                              ef-r

Comment

Working...
                              X