Lens advice Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens advice Please

I have noticed a number of canon film cameras for sale most with a 28-90mm lens or a 35-80mm. would these lens fit one of the DSLR cameras????
    Alun

Re: Lens advice Please

Hi Alun. The old EOS kit zoom lenses 28-90mm and 35-80mm were mostly fairly low rent lenses so even though they can be used on a EOS DSLR they will be OK rather than stella.
    If used on a 5D (mk1 or 2) or 1DS the angle of view would be the same as on the original film bodies but the full sensors really do need better lenses, if used on a crop sensor the angle of view will be equivalent to 'standard' to 'short telephoto' and not 'wide angle' .
    IIRC There was one version of the 28-90mm which did not have any way to manually focus or zoom, it had two buttons on the lens for the zoom, that would definitely be one to avoid!
    Regards

Keith

My Flickr

Comment

Hi Keith

Thanks for the info! I have a son-in-law that has been taking an intrest in photography unfortunately his budget is very low, I managed to get him a 20d from ebay but I dont want to keep lending my own lenses out etc.

Cheers
      Alun

Comment

Did the 20D come with a lens? If not the 18-55 IS (note the IS bit) is a good and pretty cheap lens, new white box ones can be had for under a hundred quid. (White box usually means it was in a kit and was split off for some reason.) E.g. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=330572114834 although I just Googled for this and don't know anything about the seller.

John

Comment

Hi John managed to get him a 18-55mm and a 75-300mm for £60. on ebay. The way the ad was written i dont think anyone noticed that there were two lenses and not just the larger item, so I had little or no competition.( His budget is very low and I had been seeing these film cameras with lens, just thought to clear the matter up once and for all after seeing so many of them.)
          Alun

Comment

I hope he is very happy with them and takes lots of photographs that give him pleasure.
            Next Birthday/Christmas you'll be on to photography books!

Comment

Working...
            X