Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dithering between an 85mm and a 100mm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dithering between an 85mm and a 100mm...

So I'm in a bit of a quandary... Although I'm still very much a beginner, my main "thing" thus far has been low light, gig photography so f-stops are very important to me. I've been using the cheap as chips but nonetheless very wonderful "nifty fifty" for my low light shots. This has allowed me to keep the exposure up around 100th while keeping the ISO. However, I'm really rather hankering for something which is still reasonably priced but which will give a little more reach.

The two lenses to which I'm rather attracted at the moment are the:

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens

and the Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM lens

Generally I'm tending towards the EF 85mm f/1.8 at the moment but on the basis of practically no information or insight.

While I'd love to go for a more expensive lens - an L series or one of the f1.2 models - that's just out of the question as far as funds are concerned. I reckon I've got about £300-£400 to play with which puts either of these lenses in my sights. Of course, because I'm using a 500D that of course makes their effective focal length quite a bit longer too... 136mm vs 160mm. Is that right? Is this an issue?

I wondered whether anyone here has any experience with these lenses or thoughts about which would be a better choice?

Of course, to complicate matters there's the question of what else I might do should I have a nice prime to be playing with. I'm quite interested in the idea of macro photography and have done a few flower shots and the like which were fun. Would either lens be useful for an intro into that sort of activity. Or usage for semi formal portraits? All the books and magazines seem to talk about primes from between 50mm and 100mm being useful for this... What about sports photography? So which would be more versatile? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Really grateful for any insights or thoughts. So which should I be going for?
    Last edited by TrevorRaggatt; 16-06-2011, 22:07.
    Trevor

Equipment: Canon EOS500D, Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 zoom lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 lens, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

Re: Dithering between an 85mm and a 100mm...

I dithered as well and ended up buying both, I tend use the 85mm more these days. When there's plenty of light onstage I tend to use a 70-200 2.8 forcing the 100mm out of my kit bag.

BTW the 135 SF lens is a underated lens in this category, lovely IQ fast focus, looks and sounds a bit rough though.

Trev

Comment

I guess it depends how far back you are from the stage.

The 85mm is a standard portrait lens whereas the 100mm is beginning to be a short telephoto.

From my experience (with a 24-105 on a ff at weddings) even an 85 might be too long if you are getting close. This is one of those occasions where a zoom often works better than a prime.

Brian
      ef-r

Comment

These two lenses are excellent ones although not the L series. They give very sharp detail and results. Both lenses are highly reommended.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I would go with Trev's solution of the 70-200 F2.8 IS
          ef-r

Comment

Hi! the lenses I have are the :- Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron f2.8 17-50mm, Canon 24mm-105mm f4 L and the canon 70-200mm Lf4 plus 1.4 extender (Sigma) plus the nifty fity f1.8

I am quite happy with my lot for my type of photography. I hope to invest in a Canon compact like the G10
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
              I would go with Trev's solution of the 70-200 F2.8 IS
              Sigh... would that I had the funds to allow myself to buy the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS - probably my dream lens - I've seen them down in the photo pit at so many big gigs. However, given its £1,400+ price tag it's not actually a practical solution for me at the moment.

One day...
              Trevor

Equipment: Canon EOS500D, Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 zoom lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 lens, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

Comment

As some are changing from the MKI to the MKII, there are some good secondhand ones coming onto the market. With caution, there may be a bargain or two if you are patient.

Failing that, I have a preference for the 85mm on a full crop body.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

I've only have the 2.8 non- IS partly due to budget and partly due to shooting moving subjects where you have sufficient light for very short periods of time.
                  When I say I "only" have this lens, it's a great lens and I like it a lot, it's my second, one got broken recently.

In my limited experience, I find the 70-200 2.8 non IS not so useful to me in smaller venues with poorer, amatuerish stage lighting and no area for snappers.
                  I that case I prefer a 2.8 wide to normal zoom or a 50 or 85mm prime. Just my thoughts not statements of fact :-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post

In my limited experience, I find the 70-200 2.8 non IS not so useful to me in smaller venues with poorer, amatuerish stage lighting and no area for snappers.
                    I that case I prefer a 2.8 wide to normal zoom or a 50 or 85mm prime. Just my thoughts not statements of fact :-)

Trev
                    I can see the benefit of the 24-70 in those situations
                    ef-r

Comment

Working...
                    X