24-104 f/4 L Sticking Aperture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24-104 f/4 L Sticking Aperture

As title, I have one when the Aperture motor occasionally sticks, doesn't operate makes a noise and gives me error 01 (also Aperture then registers as 00 on the LCD display).

Just wondering if anyone has had this before? If so how much did it cost to fix

(guessing it should go to Lehmanns or Fixation).
    C & C welcome on any of my images :)

Re: 24-104 f/4 L Sticking Aperture

I had a problem with a 17-85mm two years ago. A wave partially washed over me and a few days later the aperture started sticking - I could see the aperture vanes through the view-finder. Water must have seeped in. Cost about £130 for Canon repair.

Maybe your motor has just failed.

Comment

Hope so, someone suggested a sealed box and silica gel. So may give that a try first.

Comment

Originally posted by scphoto View Post
        Hope so, someone suggested a sealed box and silica gel. So may give that a try first.
        I have a 24-105, aren't they weather sealed? It shouldn't be water if they are.

Comment

the 24-105L is a very robust lens but obviously do occasionally have problems. I would recommend Fixation in Vauxhall for the repair.
          www.garywhite-photography.com
          Gary White, MPhil
          Travel Photographer

Comment

I should imagine fixation would be your best bet.

I've had my 24-105 for nearly 3 years now. Its been a truly excellent piece of kit. Its been out in light rain and so far (touching wood) its been pretty tough.

Everything has a weakness and i guess its the aperture on these lenses. Maybe its just sticking? who knows... Hopefully it won't cost too much for you.

Comment

Originally posted by carregwen View Post
              I have a 24-105, aren't they weather sealed?
              It is, but it was attached to my 5D which isn't!

I'm probably just clutching at straws tbh, I got a quote from Lehmanns for £160, so will get a quote from Fixation also.

/edit Fixation said it'll be around £170+vat. Most people seem to recommend Fixation over Lehmanns, so I may punt it their way.
              Last edited by scphoto; 07-09-2009, 15:56.

Comment

I have certainly always been impressed with Fixation.
                Gary White, MPhil
                Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by scphoto View Post
                  Aperture then registers as 00 on the LCD display
                  I've had aperture of 00 come up before. I tried the lens on another body and the problem went away. Cleaning the gold contacts on the lens and the body seemed to solve the problem. Not sure this'll work for you if you say you hear the aperture mechanism actuating – give it a go though, and good luck getting it sorted.
                  Dave

Comment

Cleaning was the first thing I tried, however now you mention it i'll dig out my PCB cleaning pen. It's more likely to be the lens as both bodies had the same issue.

Comment

Unfortunately, yes. Seeing error 00 might be due to contacts, but if you can physically see / hear the shutter sticking, this is a different ball game...
                      Gary White, MPhil
                      Travel Photographer

Comment

Eventually I got round to fixing it!

Money was king so it ended up going to Canon Elstree for the fixed price repair for £102 (inc vat and p&p).

They replaced the sub assembly, mount electronics and the rubber seal. Also calibrated it, very happy for £102!

Comment

Good news...

FWIW - I too have nothing but praise for Canon @ Elstree; I have always found them to be VERY helpful, and I've always been happy with the results...
                          I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
                            Good news...

FWIW - I too have nothing but praise for Canon @ Elstree; I have always found them to be VERY helpful, and I've always been happy with the results...
                            Excellent bit of info. chaps - Hope not many of us has to use them though!

Comment

Hrumphhh, I am not!

They quoted me £365 to fix my MR-14EX! Whilst I am fully in favour of a sense of humour ........................... !

Colin
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X