17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM Error 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM Error 01

Hi all. I'm a newcomer to Canon DSLRs, and this forum, having recently switched from Olympus gear to a 40D, 17-85 f4-5.6 IS USM and 55-250 IS. I have been very happy with the performance of camera and lenses, but in the last few days my 17-85 shows the Error 01 - lack of communication between body and lens - and will now only work on Aperture Priority at f4, or at a focal length of more than 35mm. Repair has been quoted at £162. Trawling the Canon forums reveals that the fault is probably a break in the internal flex cable controlling the diaphragm, and the fault has cropped up many times, and not restricted to the 17-85 IS USM. It seems to be a design/build fault which Canon must be aware of. Having had no failures over a number of years with Olympus, this is a very worrying introduction to Canon! Have any members suffered the same, and has there ever been any official response from Canon?
    Last edited by camano10; 05-07-2011, 06:49.

Re: 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM Error 01

Hi Camano10, sorry to hear that you are having problems, I have the same lens and at one time I did get some error messages, cant't remember what they were, but this was simply down to me accidentally touching the contacts on the lens and getting grease from the fingerprint on them. A simple clean solved the prblem.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens and camera? a gentle rub with the rubber on the end of a pencil will typically do this but don't get any mess in the camera.

Comment

Hi Muscat. I did try the contact cleaning with pencil rubber but the fault was still there. Looking at the forums, mine seems to show all the signs of a cracked cable. There's no problem at f4 on Av at any focal length when the diaphragm isn't activated to close the aperture down, and no problem whatever setting at 35mm and longer. I visualise the crack opening up as the cable is doubled up at shorter focal lengths, then the connection being restored as the cable stretches at longer lengths.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

My one has gone the same way, except I get error 99 in the camera. Looking through the lens I can see the aperture is stuck but that appears to be at all focal lengths.

Comment

Did you buy this lens new or secondhand. If it is the latter try to return the lens and get a refund. I have had not trouble,so far, with Canon lenses.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The lens was second hand but had functioned quite happily for some months in my hands. I have bitten the bullet and sent it for repair - at £92 (inc VAT) repair cost I will still have a good lens at much less than the shop price.

Petros, if you can remember to keep within the limitations it works OK, but working at f4 only, or not shorter focal length than 35mm tests the patience bigtime! Here is a link to a detailed examination of the problem, in which there is a link to a site which gives a guide to a DIY repair if you are feeling brave. Definitely not for the faint-hearted!

Last edited by camano10; 16-07-2011, 21:15. Reason: Add more information

Comment

Working...
            X