EF 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 USM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 20-35mm f3.5-4.5 USM

Some years back in those dark and distant days before electrons and binary code and CPU's took over most photography I bought a secondhand copy of one of these lenses to use with my trusty EOS film cameras. Trouble is I was never terribly happy with the end results as it's somewhat prone to chromatic aberration - enough if fact to visible even on a standard 6x4 print.

When I went digital I stopped using it as it was less versatile on APS-c than the 18-50 that I bought to go with the camera (and that lens had a lot less CA too) so it disappeared into the back of the cupboard. When I bought a used 5D at Easter I realised I would want some properly wide angle capability (at least wider than 28mm) so I went rooting for it and it saw the light of day for the first time in probably a decade.

Of course it still suffers from the same CA that it always has but digital processing can really help reduce this to an acceptable or in some cases an almost invisible level. With the CA gone it's actually a pretty decent lens - at least on a modest 12mp...

Churchyard Seat by Nigel Hayes, on Flickr
    Last edited by El Sid; 11-07-2022, 12:06.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Looks like your investment is going to be worthwhile after.all. Pic look quite decent.

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

If there's a downside now it's that 20mm is not as wide as I'm used to... Years of using a 10-20mm Sigma has gotten me used to the 16mm (full frame equivalent) options which this lens can't match. Trouble is the 16-35mm zooms cost considerably more than the camera (even used) and while the old 17-40 is a bit less expensive it tends to attract mixed opinions on image quality...

Probably be a case of staying with the 20-35 unless a not-to-be-missed opportunity turns up.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
      X