Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EF 75-300mm Alternative. Cheap for Beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EF 75-300mm Alternative. Cheap for Beginner?

Hi all. 1st post here and a beginner – be gentle

Just bought myself a 70D with 2 lenses: 18-55mm IS & EF 75-300mm.

Ive discovered the EF 75-300mm isn’t all that and id like suggestions for an alternative – on a budget of £200ish 2nd hand. Ive seen the Canon EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 II IS. Seems to be a popular choice for beginners and a fair few about.

Is there others around the same price tag I should consider.

Im kinda jumping the gun a bit, as the 70D won’t be delivered until tomorrow and I done the usual research - after I purchased it. It was a kit but for £10 more from the same seller I could have had the Sigma 70-300.

Thanks

Glezga
    Steve

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns ;)

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Look at MPB
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Glezga members on this site will be nothing but gentle and encouraging towards you. I know the 75-300 is an old lens, but I have had one for years and still get a lot of use out of it. I would suggest you practice on this lens and if you don’t get on with it, then look for another if not happy. Be patient, try before you buy.

Comment

Welcome Glezga,

Davids right, everybody here is really friendly and welcoming. You're in safe hands.

Personally I would also be keeping the EF 75-300. I wish I still had mine, it was a great lens, the only reason I got rid of mine was because it developed a fungus issue which was going to cost to much to strip it down to clean it all.

As your camera is new to you and you said you're a beginner, my advice would be to use what your camera comes with and really learn about it and get good use out of those lenses and find which focal lengths you tend to use the most, and then invest in new glass from there. You could maybe even contact your local canon supplier and see if they have lenses you can try before you buy. That way you get what's right for you rather than something based on reviews and opinions.

You've got 2 good lenses there that are going to cover pretty much you're every day stuff. Think I'd be purchasing something more particular if you found a certain subject you liked doing like macro for example.

Look forward to seeing your images in the days, weeks and months to come

Nathan

Comment

Thanks guys.

I do this all the time. Start a project and go at it like a man on a mission! They used to call it perfectionism but I think it’s a form of stress. Ive chosen photography to “slow down and smell (shoot) the roses”

The reviews ive seen of the EF 75-300 were pretty damming – but I really should make my own mind up over time.

Thanks again

Steve
          Steve

Flickr

EOS R, RF 24-105 L, 70D EF 18-55mm IS, EF 75-300mm, EF10-18mm IS STM & Nifty 50 STM.

Comment

You can find my comments in the new members section...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I would try the 75-300 firstly and see what it produces, you may be pleasantly surprised.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

You are all correct! i dont know much at this stage but cant fault the 75-300. its been wet here and havent used it much, but images i have taken are fine to my eyes! suppose i was just having buyers remorse with the reviews id seen.

Thanks

Steve
                Steve

Flickr

Comment

Won’t say “told you so” but just enjoy, and join Flickr and show us some shots, you will get nothing but help and praise when you do. Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X