RF 24-240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RF 24-240

I’ve been agonising for some time on whether to buy the RF 24-240 lens. I have an R6 II, the RF 24-105 F4 L and the RF 100-500 L. I also have an RF extender 1.4.
    I find it difficult to change lenses when out because of hand problems. On a recent trip to Horizon 22 (a superb viewing platform in the city), I had to decide which one lens to take (I have several EF lenses plus the EF/RF adapter). I settled for the RF 24-105 F4 L and came away with some decent shots. However there were some obvious shots to be had with a longer lens. Indeed I took a few with the built in teleconverter of the R6 II. These are acceptable, but of course are Jpegs.
    So my question is would I be better off getting those shots with the RF 24-240 lens, which would give the RAW images that I am used to, or continuing with the teleconverter approach. There are other projects that I would like to pursue which would benefit from the wider focal length range. My worry is that the lens, being a superzoom, has varied reviews online.
    Has anyone any thoughts? Has anyone used the lens?

Derek Clements

Hi Derek - my wife has the RF24-240 on an R body and I have used it on my R body, quite extensively this year as my EF 24-105 went faulty at the beginning of our French/Swiss holiday! Obviously it depends what you want from a lens but for my general use it performs well and I am more than happy with the results. I have used it for many subjects and varying conditions but it has been a good substitute and the range makes it ideal for a general purpose lens. Not wishing to tell you "how to suck eggs" but if you can get to a store to try one it may help you decide.
    ---------------------
    Ian C.

Comment

I am a big fan of the RF 24-240 mm lens, and use it on my R6. Its equivalent when I had a 80d and 5d was the EF 18-200mm and I nearly wore it out

If I need a one lens for a trip away or going to a place where I have no idea what I will find ( eg an open day, outdoor fair ) then I know I will be covered. The weight is about the same as your 24-105

It is not an L lens so don't get it soaked. It is a variable focal length so f4 at 24 mm rising to f6.3 so not perfect if you want to shoot long distance in low light - BUT - since you have the R6 mk 2 you have got both IBIS and an excellent low light performer which makes up for it

Its well touted "problems" are a bit of dipping horizon and maybe some vignetting, depending on how wide open you are . You can correct these easily in LR

NIna Bailey did a very favourable review of it in the EOS magazine a few years ago and still says she uses it extensively .

Hope this helps

Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Derek, I got the RF24-240 a while ago and it is almost always on my R6m2, it is an excellent lens. I’ve used for high speed BIF and certainly for travel when you can’t take an array of lenses and need to travel light. It has also seen a bit of light rain and has been fine, I dry it off immediately.

If you are using raw images be aware that lens correction is mandatory, this is done automatically in camera and in DPP and photoshop.

I’m very pleased with mine and wouldn’t be without it.

Ian
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Working...
        X