Clear All

do you have to buy canon lenses?

I am new to dslr photography do you have to buy canon lenses
    or can you use other makes of lenses
    Canon EOS 550D
    EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
    EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

Re: do you have to buy canon lenses?

There are a number of 3rd party lens manufacturers that make lenses to fit Canon bodies. Just do a search on e-bay for Canon fit lenses.
    Malcolm.
    760D
    EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
    Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
    EF 70-300 IS USM
    Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
    YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Comment

Just done a quick search on e-bay for EF and EF-S fit lenses.

Various non canon lenses.
      Malcolm.
      760D
      EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

Do however be careful that if you have a full frame camera then the EF-S lenses will not fit they are designed for what is known as the crop frame cameras. The EF lenses will fit all canon EOS bodies. If you want to buy new kit other than what is offered on e-bay have a look at this site as it will give you price comparisons and a review for each of the companies that they reference http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1603.html

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
          Do however be careful that if you have a full frame camera then the EF-S lenses will not fit they are designed for what is known as the crop frame cameras. The EF lenses will fit all canon EOS bodies. If you want to buy new kit other than what is offered on e-bay have a look at this site as it will give you price comparisons and a review for each of the companies that they reference http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1603.html
          In his first post he said he had just bought a 550D.
          Malcolm.
          760D
          EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

One point to remember about second hand third party lenses. Some of the older ones will not work on digital. All Canon lenses made for the EOS since it first came out in 1987 will fit any EOS available at the moment. Third party lenses were chiped to fit the EOS film cameras, but will have to be rechiped to fit digital. So ask the question if you are going for a second hand third party lens. I hope that all makes sense.
            del

Comment

If you go here: http://www.warehouseexpress.com then Click on "camera lenses" on the left, then the "Canon fit" button it will show 141 lenses by 6 manufacturers, all of which will work on a 550D camera. Although not all will have auto-focus, some will be manual focus only. All the other comments above seem useful and so I won't bother saying anything more.
              John
              (Edit - actually there are some more lenses that can be used by adapters, but that's getting needlessly complicated and there are plenty of Canon fit ones to choose between.)

Comment

Or here, seem cheaper as well. 50mm f1.8 11 £12 cheaper, with free p&p.

Malcolm.
                760D
                EF 70-300 IS USM

Comment

Originally posted by superdel View Post
                  One point to remember about second hand third party lenses. Some of the older ones will not work on digital. All Canon lenses made for the EOS since it first came out in 1987 will fit any EOS available at the moment. Third party lenses were chiped to fit the EOS film cameras, but will have to be rechiped to fit digital. So ask the question if you are going for a second hand third party lens. I hope that all makes sense.
                  Good advice, now in my 10-22mm lens debacle, (After several other Debacles recently) A friend has offered me an old Siggy 24mm F2.8 prime just for somethimg under 100mm to bung on Camera, I tried it yesterday Err 01/ Camera lock up/ Panic! Switched her off and put on my 100-400 and everything back to normal (Whatever that is!) Lots of older Lenses need a chip upgrade to work with new Cameras so if you must get an oldie, filter that into your buying strategy...
                  www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

Comment

Also check if the manufacturer is still doing chip upgrades for older lenses. If not then and you get ERR01 then it's no use at all.

(I guess if someone wants to sell an old third party lens to you ... then ask for the serial number and check that with the manufacturer before you make a bid).

Comment

Originally posted by George Bear View Post
                      Also check if the manufacturer is still doing chip upgrades for older lenses. If not then and you get ERR01 then it's no use at all.

(I guess if someone wants to sell an old third party lens to you ... then ask for the serial number and check that with the manufacturer before you make a bid).
                      www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by craigmason71 View Post
                        I am new to dslr photography do you have to buy canon lenses
                        or can you use other makes of lenses
                        You can use other makes like, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, they are referred to as "third-party" manufacturers.
                        Some lenses are only compatable to crop sensor cameras.
                        Sigma use DG or DC on their lens labelling, the DG means compatable to full-frame & crop cameras whilst DC is only compatable to crop cameras such as the 550D.
                        Tamron & Tokina are basically for crop sensor cameras although there are exceptions..
                        You must however buy third-party lenses specifically for the camera manufacturer as they are chipped accordingley.
                        Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                        If you go here: http://www.warehouseexpress.com then Click on "camera lenses" on the left, then the "Canon fit" button it will show 141 lenses by 6 manufacturers, all of which will work on a 550D camera..
                        A useful tip from Dr Jon
                        Companies like Warehouse Express list current lens models and obviously all new at new prices.
                        If money is tight then see if a lens listed on Warehouse Express site is available second hand from eBay you might get a bargain.
                        Third-party lenses are generally a lot cheaper than Canon lenses.

Hope it helps

Comment

Here is a bonus page that might help when looking at older lenses:

(Note there are pop-up ads, although not for anything offensive, which I didn't originally spot as I was using a browser with some Ad blocking.)
                          For example click on Sigma in the "Dedicated Lenses" section on the left hand side...
                          Looks dead useful to me... E&OE of course...
                          John
                          Last edited by DrJon; 12-08-2011, 18:44. Reason: Added note about the Ads

Comment

Working...
                          X